Old January 3rd 13, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster reliability

I normally use a paper travelcard, because it's more convenient than an
Oyster travelcard. However, I was off work for most of December and so
not travelling as much, and so used Oyster PAYG during that time.

In three weeks, four things went wrong.

First, I was fined for "not touching out" on one of my journeys, despite
my card opening the damned barriers. I got a refund a week or so later.

Second, my journey history shows that I used a non-existent bus route
38X, as part of ...

Third, I got charged for three bus journeys on a day when I made two.
Not heard anything back yet about my refund.

Fourth, the card snapped in two and couldn't be read by the ticket
barriers. Strangely, it *could* be read at the ticket office at
Waterloo (thank god it broke at a station which has London Underground
staff) where they swapped it for a new one. My journey history has been
lost though, so I can't tell if TfL made any other errors between the
last time I checked and this happening.

Wow.

Repent through spending

Old January 3rd 13, 03:27 PM
Junior Member

That's terrible that you've had such terrible luck with the Osyter card. I must confess, I've used the oyster card for a couple of years and never had problems with it. I've been fined occasionally for not touching out, but that was my own fault for thinking I could get away without paying!
Old January 3rd 13, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Fourth, the card snapped in two and couldn't be read by the ticket
barriers. Strangely, it *could* be read at the ticket office at

God is trying to tell you to walk everywhere :-)

--
Edward Cowling North London UK
http://twitter.com/gnilwoce

Old January 4th 13, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:52:21 on
Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Paul Corfield remarked:

Second, my journey history shows that I used a non-existent bus route
38X, as part of ...

That is the internal TfL code for the supplementary service on route
38 operated by the New Bus for London.

Does that mean it costs extra for using that bus?

Third, I got charged for three bus journeys on a day when I made two.
Not heard anything back yet about my refund.

Fourth, the card snapped in two and couldn't be read by the ticket
barriers. Strangely, it *could* be read at the ticket office at
Waterloo

Better aerial I expect.

(thank god it broke at a station which has London Underground
staff) where they swapped it for a new one. My journey history has been
lost though, so I can't tell if TfL made any other errors between the
last time I checked and this happening.

Does the journey history differ between what's stored on the card and on
their computer. I'd have expected them to be the same (ie both of them
right or both of them wrong in the same way).
Old January 7th 13, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 12:05:53PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
(thank god it broke at a station which has London Underground
staff) where they swapped it for a new one. My journey history has been
lost though, so I can't tell if TfL made any other errors between the
last time I checked and this happening.

Does the journey history differ between what's stored on the card and on
their computer. I'd have expected them to be the same (ie both of them
right or both of them wrong in the same way).

" Journeys made before you added this Oyster card [ie the replacement]
to your account are not available. "

according to the website.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

Irregular English:
you have anecdotes; they have data; I have proof

Old January 7th 13, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:32:56
on Mon, 7 Jan 2013, David Cantrell remarked:
(thank god it broke at a station which has London Underground
staff) where they swapped it for a new one. My journey history has been
lost though, so I can't tell if TfL made any other errors between the
last time I checked and this happening.

Does the journey history differ between what's stored on the card and on
their computer. I'd have expected them to be the same (ie both of them
right or both of them wrong in the same way).

" Journeys made before you added this Oyster card [ie the replacement]
to your account are not available. "

according to the website.

They are, but TfL doesn't want to go to the bother of making them
available to you. If it was the Met they'd have it in their in-box
before you can say 'Capita'.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/...6/oyster-card-
accounts-regularly-accessed-by-police-tfl-admits/