Old January 6th 13, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Where to see the steam runs on the Underground?

"kenw" wrote in message
Thanks, Roland, Paul

If Farringdon is the best bet, what's the ETA - someone [whose initials
might be PC?] must know.

On 2013-01-06 11:57:47 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 11:05:16 on Sun,
6 Jan 2013, Graham Harrison
remarked:
My preferred stations would be Baker St (nice period atmosphere), High
St Ken (some outdoor running at the south end of the station and one
other I won't name because I think it's where I might end up!

Farringdon looks like the best (for viewing from outside a station).

There were rumours the platforms en-route would be subject to crowd
control (or even closed altogether to the public, but I expect there will
be opportunities for professional filming and VIPs).

I can't really see they would close the platforms unless they became
overcrowded, unless they're suspending the regular service. My best guess
is that there will be a limit (as there is anyway) to the numbers permitted
after which the station gates will be closed to entering passengers. In
any case if I want to see the 13/1 run at Baker St at 1222 and I board a
(inner) Circle at Mansion House say 30 minutes before (say 1152) and arrive
just before the special I'm there, in the system.

Old January 8th 13, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

I'm increasingly of the view that you stand little chance of being
able to get even a half decent shot of the train. Only one return run
is in daylight and that's the VIP trip next Sunday. Everything else is
in the pitch black which makes photography very difficult.

Olympia station will almost certainly be off limits unless you swear
on pain of death that you are travelling on the Overground

checks tfl website

except, of course, there is no service on the WLL next weekend so stn
access will be banned unless you count as a VIP or have a ticket for
the later run.

According to the Journey Planner the District line will still be running to
Olympia as normal (with the odd cancellation) so the station will be open
for normal passengers.

Peter Smyth

Old January 8th 13, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/01/2013 08:51, Peter Smyth wrote:

According to the Journey Planner the District line will still be running
to Olympia as normal (with the odd cancellation) so the station will be
open for normal passengers.

So will TPTB be trying to distinguish between normals and us lot?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 13th 13, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 08:51:22 -0000, "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

I'm increasingly of the view that you stand little chance of being
able to get even a half decent shot of the train. Only one return run
is in daylight and that's the VIP trip next Sunday. Everything else is
in the pitch black which makes photography very difficult.

Olympia station will almost certainly be off limits unless you swear
on pain of death that you are travelling on the Overground

checks tfl website

except, of course, there is no service on the WLL next weekend so stn
access will be banned unless you count as a VIP or have a ticket for
the later run.

According to the Journey Planner the District line will still be running to
Olympia as normal (with the odd cancellation) so the station will be open
for normal passengers.

I rather expect only a small part will be open and not the long NR
platforms. Hopefully I am being unduly pessimistic.

BBC report: