Old January 10th 13, 11:35 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default S7 Stock to Barking

On 10 Jan, 12:29, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:06:02 -0600

Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
[D Stock referb]
Not that many. 6 or 7? In the lifetime of a train thats nothing.

It started in 2005; the trains will start to be withdrawn in 2015
IIRC, so it was at around the 2/3rds mark of the stocks life, and
will be in service for a decade.

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Also, wasn't the D stock upgrade a relatively light one? They cut new
windows in the car ends, and replaced some surface materials, but the seats
stayed largely the same. And some work was certainly needed by then: the

Nore than just that. They had a shed load of dot matrix displays installed
on the trains with the accompanying wiring and computers. That couldn't have
been cheap. Why do all that to a train you're going to scrap 10 years later?
Its an utter waste of money.

But it is taxpayer's money. These people (public bodies) think they
can always raise more. They are wrong of course.

Old January 10th 13, 11:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:35:10 +0000
Recliner wrote:
back in 2003 or earlier? And, yes, the PPP was a huge waste of money.

Agreed.

But given where we are now, wouldn't you complain even more if the D
stock wasn't replaced by the S stock in 2016, but by some other new
design of sub-surface stock in 10-15 years time?

I only use the district line once or twice a year so I don't know the
condition of the D stock, but presumably they must've been given a full
service (or whatever its called) when they were refurbished so must be good
for a few years yet. There's stopping LU just buying S stock for the district
in another 10 years other I suppose that their own idiotic re-inventing the
wheel idiology whereby they'd insist on wasting money retendering for an
entirely new design for its own sake rather than buying a proven one.

B2003

Old January 10th 13, 11:51 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 04:35:47 -0800 (PST)
77002 wrote:
Nore than just that. They had a shed load of dot matrix displays installed
on the trains with the accompanying wiring and computers. That couldn't have
been cheap. Why do all that to a train you're going to scrap 10 years later?
Its an utter waste of money.

But it is taxpayer's money. These people (public bodies) think they
can always raise more. They are wrong of course.

Sadly all forms of public service just treat public finances like a money
tree with scant regard to efficiency unless they're forced to by caps, whether
its the government, TfL, local councils or the BBC. In TfLs case when they
need more money they don't look for efficiencies, they simply put up the
fares way above the rate of inflation. Every ****ing year.

B2003

Old January 10th 13, 11:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

But given where we are now, wouldn't you complain even more if the D
stock wasn't replaced by the S stock in 2016, but by some other new
design of sub-surface stock in 10-15 years time?

I only use the district line once or twice a year so I don't know the
condition of the D stock, but presumably they must've been given a full
service (or whatever its called) when they were refurbished so must be good
for a few years yet. There's stopping LU just buying S stock for the district
in another 10 years other I suppose that their own idiotic re-inventing the
wheel idiology whereby they'd insist on wasting money retendering for an
entirely new design for its own sake rather than buying a proven one.

Once the production ended, it would be much more expensive to place a
repeat order for another S stock fleet. At the very least, two smaller
orders cost you much more per unit than one giant order with its
economies of scale.

If you left it more than a couple of years, then costs rise further:
the Derby factory may have gone, as might some of the suppliers, and
many of the out-of-production components might have to be replaced by
newer, different models, which all puts up costs. You'd almost
certainly end up with a different, incompatible fleet, even if they
looked similar (like the 1995 and 1996 TS), which would reduce
flexibility.
Old January 10th 13, 03:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 08:40:25 -0800 (PST)
P160AC1 wrote:
Made me notice that once the D78s on the District are replaced

Personally I think someone needs to open an enquiry over the money spent
on
the recent refurb of the D stock given how much it cost and how little
value LU are going to get from it given that they're all going to go for
scrap in a few years. We all know how TfL love wasting money while
claiming
poverty , but this really does take the ****.

'Recent' refurb? It was quite a few years ago, and the D stock will be
the
last to be replaced by the S stock.

They were refurbished between summer 2005 and February 2008. So they'll
barely get a decade of use from the refurbs.

John

Old January 10th 13, 08:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

P160AC1 wrote:
Made me notice that once the D78s on the District are replaced

Personally I think someone needs to open an enquiry over the money spent on
the recent refurb of the D stock given how much it cost and how little
value LU are going to get from it given that they're all going to go for
scrap in a few years. We all know how TfL love wasting money while claiming
poverty , but this really does take the ****.

'Recent' refurb? It was quite a few years ago, and the D stock will be the
last to be replaced by the S stock.

Five to seven years ago is not so long, in relative terms.

I managed to see a westbound S7 at Mile End today. It seemed that the
headlights were a little less intense than the S8s'. I also noticed that
some of the car numbers, had a large blue dot next to them: What does
that mean?