Old January 25th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default U5 up and running.

Got back from Merseyside this afternoon to find a U5 bus waiting
at Uxbridge station. I haven't done any detailed checking yet but the
public opposition to the proposed route around Ruislip seems to have
delayed and altered the original proposal. Actuality seems to be similar
to the original proposal as I understood it, but with the numbering
swapped -- U5 goes between Uxbridge and Hayes on the old U1 route; U1
still comes from Ruislip (not sure yet if on its original route or that
proposed for the U5), but takes the U3 route[1] from Uxbridge and terminates
at Hillingdon Hospital. The posters at the Station showing the local
bus routes are, however, still the January 2002 versions!

Whatever the fine details, it now means that the closest bus-stop
to my new house has up to 13 buses/hour each way to Uxbridge, and still
the previous frequencies to West Drayton Station and Heathrow (both of
which I need to visit regularly for work travel). :-)

[1] Maybe. Some stops on Cowley High Road still have U1 indicators; it
may come that way and then down the Greenway to Cleveland Road -- the CR
bus stop outside the Uni was sporting a U1 indicator as well as a U3 one
last Friday.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN