Old January 27th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default oyster and automatic travelcards

In message , Ian F.
writes
"Jill" wrote in message
.. .

I've always had to ask myself each time I use the tube - what am I
doing today? Do I need a one day travelcard or is a straight single
each way going to be enough? If there's a strong possibility I'll be
doing more than a straight return, or using bus and tube, I buy a
travelcard. I only use my pre-pay Oyster on the days when I wouldn't
have needed a travelcard.

My pattern of use pretty much matches yours. So, one wonders, what is the
point of people like us having an Oyster card at all?

Single journeys are charged at 2003 prices with some extra discounts at
weekends and bank holidays.

I am just sticking to
ODTCs

Which is sensible until capping is enabled.

or return tickets until such time as Oyster becomes smarter.

Which means, not only do you have a ticket which is very easily
corruptible by mobiles phones and other magnetic sources but you also
lose out on the discount.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 27th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:33:58 -0000, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Jill" wrote in message
.. .

I've always had to ask myself each time I use the tube - what am I
doing today? Do I need a one day travelcard or is a straight single
each way going to be enough? If there's a strong possibility I'll be
doing more than a straight return, or using bus and tube, I buy a
travelcard. I only use my pre-pay Oyster on the days when I wouldn't
have needed a travelcard.

My pattern of use pretty much matches yours. So, one wonders, what is the
point of people like us having an Oyster card at all? I am just sticking to
ODTCs or return tickets until such time as Oyster becomes smarter.

Ian

On non-travel card days, I find the big advantage is not having to
queue at the ticket office or the machines. Other benefits are not
having to hoard lots of pound coins for the machines; paying last
year's fares; journeys are cheaper still at weekends.
Old January 27th 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:55:47 -0000, "spammy" wrote:

for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a travelcard in
prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard" system kicked in
yet?

No, the prepay system on Oysters was implemented before it was ready.

Old January 27th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:00:25 +0000, "Jill" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 03:02:42 +0000, Jason
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:55:47 -0000, "spammy" wrote:
for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a travelcard in
prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard" system kicked in
yet?

No - later in the year, and rumoured to be possibly around March.
Currently it is possible to spend in excess of the equivalent One Day
Travelcard. (My wife keeps doing this much to my annoyance!)

But you can't blame this on Oyster - surely it's the equivalent of
buying single tickets in the old days and then finding by the end of
the day your journey meant you could have saved if you'd bought a
travelcard.

Couldn't agree with you more - what gave you the idea I was blaming
Oyster?

I've always had to ask myself each time I use the tube - what am I
doing today? Do I need a one day travelcard or is a straight single
each way going to be enough? If there's a strong possibility I'll be
doing more than a straight return, or using bus and tube, I buy a
travelcard. I only use my pre-pay Oyster on the days when I wouldn't
have needed a travelcard.

I too go through the same thought process when I don't have a season
ticket. If we could just convince my wife to do this, I'd be happier
and slightly richer. :-)

Cheers,

Jason.
Old January 27th 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
K typed:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:55:47 -0000, "spammy" wrote:

for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a
travelcard in prepay singles then youll get charged for a
travelcard" system kicked in yet?

No, the prepay system on Oysters was implemented before it was ready.

I think it has always been the intention to implement PrePay in stages. I'm
pleased that I can use it to make savings now rather than waiting for a full
implementation.

Bob

Old January 27th 04, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jason" wrote in message

I too go through the same thought process when I don't have a season
ticket. If we could just convince my wife to do this, I'd be happier
and slightly richer. :-)

But to do that, you have to second-guess your exact movements throughout the
day. Sometimes I may be planning just to go to the West End and back for a
meeting, but then one thing leads to another and I end up at a football
match followed by a lock-in at some Irish pub in Caledonian Road!

Ian
(to whom that only happened once!)

Old January 29th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2004-01-27 11:30:31 +0000, "Bob Wood" said:

In ,
I don't think this is intended. I think the idea is that people can

start
the day and only pay for a single journey, but later in the day when they
make other journeys the amount that is taken from the card during the day
will be 'capped' to the amount payable for the appropriate one day
travelcard. This would prevent the 'wasting' of money on a travelcard

if
subsequent travel was not up to the cost of the travelcard - IMO a
good idea.

Any idea if this will include LT cards too (ie: cap at LT card rate not
Travelcard rate)? I get the Underground in the morning, but often the
Underground + Chiltern (LT Cards accepted) in the evening, when Maralybone
Underground is open.

I don't know what my plans are in advance because the train leaves at
5:26pm now and doesn't run very often, so depending on if I'm going to miss
it or not, I make a choice of how to get home.

Thanks.
Old January 29th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In news:200401291728128586%me@nospamnet,
Adam typed:

Any idea if this will include LT cards too (ie: cap at LT card rate
not Travelcard rate)?

I don't know.