Old March 3rd 13, 02:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Boris Bus is one year old

On 2013\03\03 00:46, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 12:12:35 +0000, Robin9
wrote:

Offramp;136321 Wrote:
It is superb. You are missing out! Go and! have a trip on one

All right; I will! Either today or tomorrow.

Obviously make sure you use the open rear platform (see if the
platform supervisor lets you do it when the bus is moving...).

If you've not already seen it, here's the NB4L timetable:
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/038X.pdf

Note that Sunday service is quite limited and irregular (roughly
hourly).

Only every 20-30 minutes even at weekday peaks!

Yes, only about one in every three or four 38s is one of the eight NB4L
prototypes.

They never seem to have more than 5 or 6 scheduled to run at a time, and
down to three on a Sunday. Are they that in need of TLC?

Old March 3rd 13, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2013\03\03 00:46, Recliner wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

Offramp;136321 Wrote:
It is superb. You are missing out! Go and! have a trip on one

All right; I will! Either today or tomorrow.

Obviously make sure you use the open rear platform (see if the
platform supervisor lets you do it when the bus is moving...).

If you've not already seen it, here's the NB4L timetable:
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/038X.pdf

Note that Sunday service is quite limited and irregular (roughly
hourly).

Only every 20-30 minutes even at weekday peaks!

Yes, only about one in every three or four 38s is one of the eight NB4L
prototypes.

They never seem to have more than 5 or 6 scheduled to run at a time, and
down to three on a Sunday. Are they that in need of TLC?

Presumably, as they're prototypes, they want to allow for failures, tests,
upgrades, modifications, adjustments, etc. And by interspersing them with
conventional buses, if the odd one is missing from the schedule, it's not
likely to cause any noticeable gaps in the service.

One aspect of their relative rarity is that when travelling on one, you
almost feel like waving at one passing the other way, much like owners of
rare sports cars do.
Old March 3rd 13, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Offramp;136321 Wrote:
It is superb. You are missing out! Go and! have a trip on one

All right; I will! Either today or tomorrow.

For anyone who's not had their fill of pics of them, here's some I
took a couple of months ago of LT4 in service:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...943469/detail/
Old March 3rd 13, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013\03\03 09:51, Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:
Yes, only about one in every three or four 38s is one of the eight NB4L
prototypes.

They never seem to have more than 5 or 6 scheduled to run at a time, and
down to three on a Sunday. Are they that in need of TLC?

I don't think it is down to needing TLC. They are prototypes so are
not being overstretched. LT1 has been out of service since late last
year - I believe it is away being upgraded to production spec but I
have not seen that officially confirmed. There are only 7 buses
available at present. Having 5 or 6 buses in weekday service plus 1
spare is fair enough.

One other LT has been off doing route surveys / clearance tests for
possible other routes that will be converted to NB4L operation. And
no, I don't know which routes it has run over!

Thanks, that explains it.