Old April 28th 13, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,cam.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Rail replacement bus gets lost

In message , at 18:39:46 on Sun, 28 Apr
2013, John Levine remarked:
Well, since Colin and Roland are *constantly* arguing about everything
and nothing on the cam.* newsgroups, I suggest the four of them arrange
to meet at a pub one day. The good Mrs Perry and Mrs Rosenstiel can have
a jolly good laugh between themselves over a nice drink in the pub, ...

But first they have to decide which pub.

I'd suggest Cambridge Blue, but they probably have their own,
conflicting, opinions.

Cutter Inn. All welcome, someone just has to name the day.

Old April 28th 13, 08:57 PM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

On 2013\04\28 18:43, ian wrote:

wrote in message

Are there examples other than the A142 at Ely Station?

A10 Milton Road just south of the science park in Cambridge!

Not according to Google Earth.

Old April 28th 13, 10:27 PM posted to uk.railway,cam.transport,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
You couldn't make this up - especially as ColinR was saying only last
weekend that his wife refuses to use the Ely - Cambridge RRP because last
time she did, the bus got lost.

I was on a Lincoln to Nottingham late night RR service a few years back, it
must look different in the dark because I found myself having to direct the
driver - it was obvious he didn't know the roads as he'd come to a junction
and hesitate before choosing the most likely option. I wouldn't have taken a
54 seater coach down some of the roads he was using, and much manoevering
was often needed on especially tight corners.

Old April 28th 13, 10:38 PM posted to uk.railway,cam.transport,uk.transport.london

On 28/04/13 18:09, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
Well, since Colin and Roland are *constantly* arguing about everything
and nothing on the cam.* newsgroups, I suggest the four of them arrange
to meet at a pub one day. The good Mrs Perry and Mrs Rosenstiel

Colin? Rosenstiel? As in "ambulance"?

Ian
Old April 29th 13, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 02:40:32PM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2013\04\28 13:29, Peter Masson wrote:
At least it didn't take its top off by trying to go through a low
railway bridge, as has happened with rail replacement buses in the past.

Not too easy in Anglia, that one! Are there any roads that go under
railways in Anglia?

Of course there are. There's a very low one next to Chelmsford station,
for example.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

If you can't imagine how I do something, it's
because I have a better imagination than you
Old April 29th 13, 01:15 PM posted to uk.railway,cam.transport,uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2013\04\28 13:29, Peter Masson wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

You couldn't make this up - especially as ColinR was saying only last
weekend that his wife refuses to use the Ely - Cambridge RRP because
last time she did, the bus got lost.

At least it didn't take its top off by trying to go through a low
railway bridge, as has happened with rail replacement buses in the past.

Not too easy in Anglia, that one! Are there any roads that go under
railways in Anglia?

There are several cases of roads that go under OLD railway bridges, where
the track has been lifted.

--
Brian

Old April 29th 13, 01:51 PM posted to uk.railway,cam.transport,uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Jake" wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
You couldn't make this up - especially as ColinR was saying only last
weekend that his wife refuses to use the Ely - Cambridge RRP because last
time she did, the bus got lost.

I was on a Lincoln to Nottingham late night RR service a few years back, it
must look different in the dark because I found myself having to direct the
driver - it was obvious he didn't know the roads as he'd come to a junction
and hesitate before choosing the most likely option. I wouldn't have taken a
54 seater coach down some of the roads he was using, and much manoevering
was often needed on especially tight corners.

Some friends and I once came out of the gates on the right here[1] to
find a large tourist coach beginning to back up this road after
realising it wasn't going to fit underneath the arch. We had to yell at
the driver because he clearly hadn't spotted the small hatchback
immediately behind him.

Sam

[1] http://goo.gl/maps/gkHYm At the time, or maybe during the summer,
it operated as a garden centre and had a small shop/tea room.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.