Old June 19th 13, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default BBC2 "Airport Live" from Heathrow

In message , at 09:54:18 on Wed, 19 Jun
2013, d remarked:
But they don't work with them closely - they may exchange a few sentences
at most during a departure and thats it.

There's the haggling for a departure slot, the taxi-ing, and at the
other end, landing. En-route they talk too.

Old June 19th 13, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:22:34 on
Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Recliner remarked:
How often do train drivers go and visit the signalmen at work?

I don't know, but considering how long it takes to learn to be a driver,
I'd hope they spent a few days with a signalman to get a feel for how
the other half lives.

These days, aren't the signallers more likely to be people in a large
windowless centralised signalling centres which are much like
Swanwick?

Yes, they are. But even more important that drivers get a feeling for
what happens there.

I can't imagine many drivers visit such centres, or even if
they do, they won't spend a few days working in front of the array of
large computer monitors. At best, they may just be shown round once.

Then that's very sad. I'm a great believer in understanding what's going
on around you, and being interested in the jobs of people who affect you
directly, in the way signallers and ATC do (for drivers and pilots).
Old June 19th 13, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:25:33 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[...]

Equally, do signallers have cab rides (or sim sessions)? Or do
drivers spend any time in maintenance depots or train
factories/rebuilders? And how much time do pilots spend seeing how
their planes are built and maintained? Or do ATC officers have sim
sessions? I suspect the answer is a negative in each case.
Old June 19th 13, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:40:39 on
Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Recliner remarked:
I'm a great believer in understanding what's going
on around you, and being interested in the jobs of people who affect you
directly, in the way signallers and ATC do (for drivers and pilots).

Equally, do signallers have cab rides (or sim sessions)? Or do
drivers spend any time in maintenance depots or train
factories/rebuilders? And how much time do pilots spend seeing how
their planes are built and maintained? Or do ATC officers have sim
sessions? I suspect the answer is a negative in each case.

As pilots are directly responsible for doing a visual engineering
inspection of their planes before every take-off, I sincerely hope they
have quite a good understanding of how they are built and maintained.
That's probably the most important 'crossover skill' on your list, but
all the others should be done to some extent or another.
Old June 19th 13, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:40:39 on
Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Recliner remarked:
I'm a great believer in understanding what's going
on around you, and being interested in the jobs of people who affect you
directly, in the way signallers and ATC do (for drivers and pilots).

Equally, do signallers have cab rides (or sim sessions)? Or do
drivers spend any time in maintenance depots or train
factories/rebuilders? And how much time do pilots spend seeing how
their planes are built and maintained? Or do ATC officers have sim
sessions? I suspect the answer is a negative in each case.

As pilots are directly responsible for doing a visual engineering
inspection of their planes before every take-off, I sincerely hope they
have quite a good understanding of how they are built and maintained.
That's probably the most important 'crossover skill' on your list, but
all the others should be done to some extent or another.

It's more than just the visual inspection. Now that flight engineers are
long gone, pilots also have to do a certain amount of mechanical and
electronic trouble-shooting in the air, obviously helped by computer
systems and their colleagues at base. For example, in that recent case of a
BA A319 that had damage to both engines when the unlatched cowls flew off,
the pilots had to make some critical immediate decisions. Luckily, their
decisions were spot-on, probably helped by a decent understanding of what
was going on to their stricken plane.