Old June 19th 13, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default BBC2 "Airport Live" from Heathrow

In message , at 09:54:18 on Wed, 19 Jun
2013, d remarked:
I've never seen her before.

How can you have never seen her before? She's been virtually ubiquitous on
the BBC for about 5 years.

"Springwatch, Lambing Live, Countryfile" - I've not watched any of
those.

Old June 20th 13, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:54:18 on Wed, 19 Jun
2013, d remarked:
I've never seen her before.

How can you have never seen her before? She's been virtually ubiquitous on
the BBC for about 5 years.

"Springwatch, Lambing Live, Countryfile" - I've not watched any of those.

And, er, one or two others:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Humble#Programmes

Many are scientific and quite a few live, so I guess she was a suitable
last-minute replacement for the presumably better-prepped Dan Snow. But I
notice she's getting better with each edition, and is now noticeably less
excited by every factoid. I think the other presenters had weeks of prep
and pre-recording their segments, so she's not done badly to have to handle
much of the live work with no background in this area and little prep.
Old June 20th 13, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 19:14:47 on Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Recliner

remarked:

"Springwatch, Lambing Live, Countryfile" - I've not watched any of those.

And, er, one or two others:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Humble#Programmes

Apart from "Who do you think you are" (which doesn't really count, and I
haven't seen that episode) none of those programmes are ones I've
watched.

And yes, I did often watch Tomorrows World, but 25 years ago!

Digressing, I once thought about buying Judith Hann's house, which was
on the market about 20 years ago, although I never met her in person.
Old June 20th 13, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 19:14:47 -0500
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:54:18 on Wed, 19 Jun
2013, d remarked:
I've never seen her before.

How can you have never seen her before? She's been virtually ubiquitous on
the BBC for about 5 years.

"Springwatch, Lambing Live, Countryfile" - I've not watched any of those.

And, er, one or two others:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Humble#Programmes

Many are scientific and quite a few live, so I guess she was a suitable
last-minute replacement for the presumably better-prepped Dan Snow. But I

If she cut down on the expresso before she went on air she'd be a damn good
presenter. She can certainly keep it together a lot better than others who've
tried.

Though for over the top done-a-line-of-coke-off-camera style of hyper
presenting you can't really match jason bradbury or back in the day, johnny
vaughan.

--
Spud

Old June 21st 13, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

August West wrote:
The entity calling itself Recliner wrote:

And how much time do pilots spend seeing how their planes are built
and maintained?

I don't know about BA, but when I worked for Air france, all staff on
executive management track (which included senior air crew) were trained
in a common way. And that included knowledge of, and visits to, the
extensive maintenance facilities at Roissy.

Given that Air France has a safety record that would shame a third world
airline (and if they were a third world airline instead of France's flag
carrier would probably be banned from European skies,) with particular
emphasis on pilots who don't know how to fly but are too proud to admit it,
and appalling Crew Resource Management skills (aka teamwork,) that is
hardly a ringing endorsement.

Old June 21st 13, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clank wrote:
August West wrote:
The entity calling itself Recliner wrote:

And how much time do pilots spend seeing how their planes are built
and maintained?

I don't know about BA, but when I worked for Air france, all staff on
executive management track (which included senior air crew) were trained
in a common way. And that included knowledge of, and visits to, the
extensive maintenance facilities at Roissy.

Given that Air France has a safety record that would shame a third world
airline (and if they were a third world airline instead of France's flag
carrier would probably be banned from European skies,) with particular
emphasis on pilots who don't know how to fly but are too proud to admit it,
and appalling Crew Resource Management skills (aka teamwork,) that is
hardly a ringing endorsement.

Very true; I can think of at least four AF crashes that were entirely
preventable. For the first time in decades, I have an Air France flight
booked for later this year, and am concerned by its poor safety record; I'm
flying to a former French colony, and there are few other options. I felt
safer on Air Koryo (which *is* banned from the EU).
Old June 21st 13, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Four hour long 'live' programmes (though presumably with much
pre-recorded content) about the operations of Heathrow are on BBC2 at 8pm
from Monday to Thursday this coming week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018t3xg

Hopefully should be of interest - there's certainly enough raw material
at one of the world's busiest airports.

I just came across this story of how ATC in New York handled a tricky
situation safely and professionally (but which was sensationalised into a
'near miss' in the tabloids):
http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/06/c.../#.UcStd8O9KSM