Old July 24th 13, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Tube in the eighties

No, not Tyne Tees's contribution to popular culture in said decade, but
a photographic record of shenanigans on the capital's popular transport
mode:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/19/bob-mazzer-on-the-tube/

Old July 24th 13, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:20:31 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

No, not Tyne Tees's contribution to popular culture in said decade, but
a photographic record of shenanigans on the capital's popular transport
mode:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/19/bob-mazzer-on-the-tube/

Excellent photos! Familiar, but a world away now. Thanks for the
post.

Richard.
Old July 24th 13, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24/07/2013 21:20, Mizter T wrote:
No, not Tyne Tees's contribution to popular culture in said decade, but
a photographic record of shenanigans on the capital's popular transport
mode:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/19/bob-mazzer-on-the-tube/

The photo of the narrow platform -- is that the Morden branch or Angel?
Old July 25th 13, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 06:32:50 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

[http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/...-on-the-tube/]

They are good - did you look at both 80s sets plus his more recent
one? I'm quite surprised that he managed to get people to agree to
some of those shots but perhaps the photographer is exceptionally
charming?

I have now, they're excellent. I don't know how he does it! The
whole site is interesting.

It certainly is a world away in terms of how the network looks but I
suspect that human behaviour has barely changed. Fashion yes,
behaviour no.

I think you're right. I just remember the relative emptiness of
trains in the middle of the day and at night, from my first years back
in London. That and the dinginess of the trains in those days... The
best trains back then are now tin cans, or quietly overlooking
Shoreditch.

Actually, I reckon that the best tube trains in the 1980s were the 1973 TS,
and they still are, though I preferred the original seating.
Old July 25th 13, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

They are good - did you look at both 80s sets plus his more recent
one? I'm quite surprised that he managed to get people to agree to
some of those shots but perhaps the photographer is exceptionally
charming?

I could only find one set on the URL given.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 29th 13, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

No, not Tyne Tees's contribution to popular culture in said decade, but

a photographic record of shenanigans on the capital's popular transport

mode:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/19/bob-mazzer-on-the-tube/

Excellent photos! Familiar, but a world away now. Thanks for the

post.

It is hard to believe one was present then. These pictures are so sickening; I almost changed my mind regarding the decline of western civilization. Then I remembered, we had the wonderful years of restoration during the Mulroney, Reagan, Thatcher John Paul II era.

Old July 29th 13, 01:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

No, not Tyne Tees's contribution to popular culture in said decade, but

a photographic record of shenanigans on the capital's popular transport

mode:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/07/19/bob-mazzer-on-the-tube/

Excellent photos! Familiar, but a world away now. Thanks for the

post.

It is hard to believe one was present then. These pictures are so
sickening; I almost changed my mind regarding the decline of western
civilization. Then I remembered, we had the wonderful years of
restoration during the Mulroney, Reagan, Thatcher John Paul II era.

I'm curious why you think western civilisation is declining? Isn't British
society freer, safer, healthier, longer-lived, less crime-afflicted, more
egalitarian, less-discriminatory, more integrated, and more secular than
ever? Regardless of their political complexion, British governments have
been pretty effective at moving us in the right direction. However, I'm not
sure what role, if any, Mulroney, Reagan or any pope played in this
progress.
Old July 29th 13, 03:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, 28 July 2013 18:23:58 UTC-7, Recliner wrote:
e27002 wrote:

[...]

One is not sure when Britain became the sum total Western Civilization. For crime see http://www.historytoday.com/victor-b...entury-britain
Then there is the decline in communities of faith, the cheapening of human life, the rise of out of wedlock births, the disproportionate influence of deviant groups, the overwhelming rise of low brow culture, pseudo-science, the decline of honor, patriotism, and loyalty. The list goes on and on. But, you no doubt see things differently.

And, as for our allies, I presume you see no advantage in the fall of our then greatest threat. Perhaps to you, Poles, East Germans, Czechs, et al do not count (They are not British after all). But, I am sure to them the Western Leadership of that period was cause for great rejoicing. Need I mention “Solidarity”.
Old July 29th 13, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

e27002 wrote:

On Wednesday, 24 July 2013 15:51:50 UTC-7, Richard wrote:

It is hard to believe one was present then. These pictures are so

sickening; I almost changed my mind regarding the decline of western

civilization. Then I remembered, we had the wonderful years of

restoration during the Mulroney, Reagan, Thatcher John Paul II era.

I'm curious why you think western civilisation is declining? Isn't British

society freer, safer, healthier, longer-lived, less crime-afflicted, more

egalitarian, less-discriminatory, more integrated, and more secular than

ever? Regardless of their political complexion, British governments have

been pretty effective at moving us in the right direction. However, I'm not

sure what role, if any, Mulroney, Reagan or any pope played in this

progress.

One is not sure when Britain became the sum total Western Civilization.

I never said it was, but we were discussing pictures taken in London
in the 1980s, and so it was reasonable to look at how Britain's
changed in the last 30 years.

For crime see http://www.historytoday.com/victor-b...entury-britain

I know you like living in the past, but why post a link to an article
published some 25 years ago (and apparently based on data no newer
than 1984), when we're discussing how things have changed *since* the
1980s? Perhaps because more recent articles don't support your
thesis. For a more current analysis, see
http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...st-explains-16

Then there is the decline in communities of faith, the cheapening of human life, the rise of out of wedlock births, the disproportionate influence of deviant groups, the overwhelming rise of low brow culture, pseudo-science, the decline of honor, patriotism, and loyalty. The list goes on and on. But, you no doubt see things differently.

Yes, I will regard it as a real triumph of western civilisation when
the study of religion is confined to the history syllabus. The quicker
that 'communities of faith' disappear, the better. I certainly don't
welcome the rise of pseudo-science, but it seems to be confined mainly
to the US, with the rise of pseudo-sciences like Intelligent Design.

And, as for our allies, I presume you see no advantage in the fall of our then greatest threat. Perhaps to you, Poles, East Germans, Czechs, et al do not count (They are not British after all). But, I am sure to them the Western Leadership of that period was cause for great rejoicing. Need I mention “Solidarity”.

Of course I celebrated the fall of the Soviet empire -- who wouldn't?
It's another reason to feel optimistic about the progress in western
civilisation (I just wish I'd visited more eastern European countries
just before or after the fall of the Wall, so I could better judge the
changes since then). And one consequence is that if you listen to
conversations on today's Tube trains, many are in the languages of the
countries that were once behind the iron curtain.