Old August 28th 13, 06:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
joh joh is offline

Default Bendy Buses

In Malta, three bendy buses formerly on service in London have caught fire. The entire fleet has been withdrawn temporarily, as an article from the Times of Malta newspaper reports.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130827/local/fire-on-route-bus..483763

(While the page is shown with restrictions for readers outside of Malta, you can still read the article in full by viewing the page source.)

Times of Malta reports that three buses have caught fire within three days, after six less serious incidents since the beginning of this year. No passengers were harmed. The Maltese Transport Ministry and transport authority have instructed Arriva Malta to withdraw all their bendy buses from service while investigations are under way, starting yesterday night. Arriva said their buses were safe, and that they could not rule out arson.

Old August 28th 13, 06:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

joh wrote:
In Malta, three bendy buses formerly on service in London have caught
fire. The entire fleet has been withdrawn temporarily, as an article from
the Times of Malta newspaper reports.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130827/local/fire-on-route-bus.483763

(While the page is shown with restrictions for readers outside of Malta,
you can still read the article in full by viewing the page source.)

Times of Malta reports that three buses have caught fire within three
days, after six less serious incidents since the beginning of this year.
No passengers were harmed. The Maltese Transport Ministry and transport
authority have instructed Arriva Malta to withdraw all their bendy buses
from service while investigations are under way, starting yesterday
night. Arriva said their buses were safe, and that they could not rule out arson.

Was the spontaneous combustion problem in London fixed by mechanical
modifications to the buses, or just a change of operating
procedures/maintenance? If the latter, perhaps the modified procedures
haven't been followed in Malta?
Old August 28th 13, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT - Bendy Buses

On 2013-08-28 06:01:45 +0000, joh said:

[...]

You beat me to it - I was just about to post this after hearing it from
my daughter, who lives in Malta.

It's reasonable to say that Arriva's entrance into Malta has not been
troublefree. When I was there earlier in the year the summer service
hadn't started as Arriva hadn't reached agreement with the drivers, so
the timetables on the stops and website bore little relation to actual
running times. Those buses I did manage to catch were often driven as
if by a suicidal nutter on the way home from the pub.

But a look at the links on the Times of Malta shows a catalogue of woes
including 1294 accidents involving Arriva buses betweem July 2012 and
this April.

And now they've had to reintroduce some of the traditional buses. More
character, but I assume less air-conditioning.

Old August 28th 13, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sounds bloody flipping bloody awful!
Old August 28th 13, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ken Wheatley wrote:

And now they've had to reintroduce some of the traditional buses. More
character, but I assume less air-conditioning.

Rather opening windows than non or partially functional aircon. Yes that
means you, First Great Western.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Old August 29th 13, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/08/2013 17:30, Ken Wheatley wrote:

Those buses I did manage to catch were often driven as if
by a suicidal nutter on the way home from the pub.

So nothing has changed sine Arriva arrived...?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 30th 13, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"joh" wrote in message
In Malta, three bendy buses formerly on service in London have caught
fire.
The entire fleet has been withdrawn temporarily, as an article from the
Times of Malta newspaper reports.

Brighton and Hove operate some of these as well, and I'm sure we would have
heard about it if they were in a habit of bursting into flames there.

--
DAS