Old November 1st 13, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Freedom Pass

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:04:15 -0500
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:08:27 -0700 (PDT)
Steve Lewis wrote:
You can have 2 RFID cards in a single wallet by putting a credit card-sized
piece of foil between them. You then turn your wallet to present the
appropriate card to the reader.

Someone remind me - arn't we being told RFID is supposed to make life easier?

Requiring multiple wallets or wallets with seperate sections or ****ing

around
with bloody tin foil and then having to remember which way up to put the

wallet
on the reader for gods sake wouldn't be my definition of "easier".

So keep the card(s) outside the wallet, just as you'd have done with any
older technology cards.

Is that supposed to be a serious suggestion? Perhaps you haven't quite grasped
the concept of a "wallet". Here, this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallet

--
Spud

Old November 1st 13, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:41:15 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
The indications are that this will stop working quite soon (unless your
wallet is capable of separating them sufficiently when you touch-in).

Or perhaps your credit card isn't yet Paywave enabled - wait until it
gets replaced.

where is the 10 minute queue here?

For a paper ticket.

The machines are quite happy to dish out a one day paper travelcard. For now.
Though if you want to buy an oyster card you need to queue for the bloke in
the ticket office. I wonder if anyone in TfL has noticed the irony?

--
Spud

Old November 1st 13, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Mark Bestley) wrote on 31 October 2013 18:10:49 ...
Richard J. wrote:

(Mark Bestley) wrote on 31 October 2013 17:04:35 ...
Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:14:19 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Recently my Freedom Pass has failed at some Oyster Readers (usually
Underground ones)with an error 94.

The only thing that has changed is that I now have in my wallet a
proximity debit card.

Would this cause problems?

Yes because TfL are almost certainly deploying new software to all
card reading devices (on rail modes) in preparation for launch of
contactless bank card acceptance and daily capping in 2014. There
will be "clash detection" in operation when someone presents two cards
within the read area of the target on the gate or validator. As the
reader cannot determine which card the holder wants to have read it
will reject both.

I understand that there had previously been only a couple of locations
with new software for testing purposes.

I know we're all different in how we organise things like cards but I
always keep Oyster cards and bank cards in separate wallets.

I have only one wallet and that is too many How with one wallet will
you use these cards? I don't want to carry a bag/purse around to put all
these wallets in. Perhaps I could put them in may back pocket as I did
with paper seasons or does that still break the connections?

Go to johnlewis.com and search for "trifold wallet". You can put one
RFID card in each of the two fold-out sections, other cards in the
middle section.

That is still only one wallet is that sufficient to stop problems?

Yes. It has completely stopped the problems I was getting when all the
cards were together. The other cards (including an RFID Barclaycard)
are near but not over the Oyster pad, and that's evidently far enough away.
--
Richard J.
Old November 1st 13, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 14:27:00 on
Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Mark Bestley remarked:
Someone remind me - arn't we being told RFID is supposed to make life
easier?

Requiring multiple wallets or wallets with seperate sections or ****ing
around
with bloody tin foil and then having to remember which way up to put the
wallet
on the reader for gods sake wouldn't be my definition of "easier".

relative to getting on the end of a 10 minute queue it is

Curently I can carry my pass/oyster and a credit card in one wallett

The indications are that this will stop working quite soon (unless your
wallet is capable of separating them sufficiently when you touch-in).

Or perhaps your credit card isn't yet Paywave enabled - wait until it
gets replaced.

where is the 10 minute queue here?

For a paper ticket.

Which I don't need, I have a Pass already.

Oh well in that case I'll stop carrying the credit card when it expires,
cash is a lot easier you can carry in a back pocket and sit on it and
also in the same wallet as a pass

--
Mark
Old November 1st 13, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:32:12 on Fri, 1 Nov
2013, d remarked:
where is the 10 minute queue here?

For a paper ticket.

The machines are quite happy to dish out a one day paper travelcard. For now.

At major terminus stations the machines often have substantial queues
too.

Old November 1st 13, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Lewis wrote:
You can have 2 RFID cards in a single wallet by putting a credit card-sized
piece of foil between them. You then turn your wallet to present the
appropriate card to the reader.

Someone remind me - arn't we being told RFID is supposed to make life easier?

Requiring multiple wallets or wallets with seperate sections or ****ing

around
with bloody tin foil and then having to remember which way up to put the

wallet
on the reader for gods sake wouldn't be my definition of "easier".

So keep the card(s) outside the wallet, just as you'd have done with any
older technology cards.

Is that supposed to be a serious suggestion? Perhaps you haven't quite grasped
the concept of a "wallet". Here, this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallet

Thank you for being as helpful as ever. I find it a lot more convenient to
keep my Oyster card separate from my thick wallet full or other cards,
coins, notes, etc. I'd much rather not take that out of my pocket at ticket
barriers.
Old November 1st 13, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield writes:
Yes because TfL are almost certainly deploying new software to all
card reading devices (on rail modes) in preparation for launch of
contactless bank card acceptance and daily capping in 2014.

Does this mean I will no longer need my oyster card when I visit London?

I have a pay wave debit card and a pay as you go Oyster card and visit
London a few times a year.

Phil
Old November 1st 13, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Lewis wrote:
[...]

I also keep my Oyster card in a separate holder, but since I got a new
contactless debit card I now have to keep my Freedom Pass in yet another
holder.
Old November 1st 13, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:14:11 on Fri, 1 Nov 2013,
Phil remarked:
Yes because TfL are almost certainly deploying new software to all
card reading devices (on rail modes) in preparation for launch of
contactless bank card acceptance and daily capping in 2014.

Does this mean I will no longer need my oyster card when I visit London?

I have a pay wave debit card and a pay as you go Oyster card and visit
London a few times a year.

As long as they accept foreign (non-UK) issued contactless cards. I
don't think the current trial does [nor do I think it accepts the sort
of pre-pay cards often sold to travellers].
Old November 1st 13, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Lewis wrote:
[...]

I keep my contactless debit card in my main wallet. I've also put a piece
of Al foil in the wallet to stop the card being detected when it's in the
wallet. I don't usually take my Oyster and Freedom cards out together.