Old February 4th 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

Default Command Crisis - BB2 Tue 3 Feb 21.30

SNIPBut how many people would in a real life situation have the guts to
order the death of 100's without being 100% that it will save more lives
that it loses.

Which begs the question just how prepared would local commissioners in their
bunkers have been to make similar decision. At the moment it's all
hypothetical but come the crunch??

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old February 4th 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jason Hovercraft-Bingley" wrote in
message ...

It's gratifying to see these examples of how much
people like you fear The Guardian. I read
The Guardian because it's a damned fine newspaper.

I initially read The Guardian because people told me it was a damned fine
newspaper. Then I tried the Independent, and found it was a little
unsettling because every article had a strange "unfinished" feel to it. So I
went back to the Guardian. Then I realised that the "unfinished" feeling
came about because as a Guardian reader I had come to expect newspapers to
tell me what conclusions to draw, and the Independent just gave me the facts
and let me draw my own conclusions. So I went back to the Independent.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 4th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

I just started watching it, and it seems to be arse so far, with the
serious-voiced presenter, almost like Michael Buerk being sanctimonious
about car accidents. ;-(

And the "crisis" logo makes me think "underpants"...

- Huge

Old February 4th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

In article , Night Orca
writes

"Nick Cooper 625" wrote in message

From the clips shown on 'BBC Breakfast' this AM, the "dilemma" is
whether to tryu to rescue the passengers stuck in the rapidly-filling
tunnel, or to close, "the watertight doors." Question is, is it still
possible to do that?!

Yes it is.... Flood gates still exist on the LUL

South Ken to Sloane Square being one place

They may exist, but do they work?
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old February 4th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

In article , CJG Now
Thankfully Living In The North writes

Personally speaking, if those 3 ever form part of a cabinet in this
country, I will be immediately volunteering to take part in the first
explaratory trips to Mars - that should be just about far enough away to
be safe from their 'decision' making!

James

Although the program was even funnier than I was told it would be.
I wonder just how many people smirking at them making the wrong
decision would be happy to give the order to kill 100 innocent people
without the hindsight of knowing the plane was going to crash into
parliament. How many people would give the order to seal up a tunnel
with a underground train full of injured people on board. Its very
easy to mock and laugh at a fictional set up. Or to give advice and
opnions in this matter. But how many people would in a real life
situation have the guts to order the death of 100's without being 100%
that it will save more lives that it loses.
And also if it was your
wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/child/parent/realtive on the train
or plane. Would you be so keen to see them die without being 100%
their life would save a lot more?

Put me in the chair, I'll make the decision. And stand by it.
Old February 5th 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Jason Hovercraft-Bingley" wrote

in
message ...

It's gratifying to see these examples of how much
people like you fear The Guardian. I read
The Guardian because it's a damned fine newspaper.

I initially read The Guardian because people told me it was a damned fine
newspaper. Then I tried the Independent, and found it was a little
unsettling because every article had a strange "unfinished" feel to it. So

went back to the Guardian. Then I realised that the "unfinished" feeling
came about because as a Guardian reader I had come to expect newspapers to
tell me what conclusions to draw, and the Independent just gave me the

facts
and let me draw my own conclusions. So I went back to the Independent.

I used to read the Daily Express, but then I realised that if I just printed
out a piece of paper ranting about spiralling tax burdens then it would
serve pretty much the same function but save me 50p a day.

The other great thing about the Independent is that it does exactly what it
says on the tin. It may have an overall editorial line, but its columnists
are all over the place - you can't really imagine Ken Livingstone with a
column in the Daily Mail, can you?

Jonn

Old February 5th 04, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.subterranea

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:00:01 +0000 (UTC), "Night Orca"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper 625" wrote in message

From the clips shown on 'BBC Breakfast' this AM, the "dilemma" is
whether to tryu to rescue the passengers stuck in the rapidly-filling
tunnel, or to close, "the watertight doors." Question is, is it still
possible to do that?!

Yes it is.... Flood gates still exist on the LUL

South Ken to Sloane Square being one place

Yeah, sure, but take a look them and you see that most/all clearly
haven't been moved for decades. The ones in the cross-passageways at
Leicester Square got tiled over lat last year. There are the
1939/40-vintage ones at the ends of the Northern & Bakerloo platforms
at Waterloo, but are they actually still capable of being closed?
Hence my question: "is it _still_ possible to do that?!"
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old February 5th 04, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message ...

I used to read the Daily Express, but then I realised that if I just printed
out a piece of paper ranting about spiralling tax burdens then it would
serve pretty much the same function but save me 50p a day.

What a great line. I think everyone should use that as their forum signature.
Old February 5th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's gratifying to see these examples of how much people like you fear The
Guardian. I read The Guardian because it's a damned fine newspaper.
The only true newspapers are the Independent, the Guardian, the Telegraph
and The Times. The "Daily Maul" can't even climb into the category.

JHB.

Ironically its the Metro a free newspaper which is the best paper.
Not patronising or up its own arse like the Guardian. And not toilet
paper like the Daily Star (both newspapers which I read)
Incidentically if you live or work near a university like I do. If you
go in the university and find a shop selling newspapers your find that
due to wanting to catch students early before they become graudates
and buy the same paper for the rest of your life. You can get the
Times, Guardian and Independent for a price cheaper than any of the
red tops. It may only be 20p your saving but if you buy cheap
sandwhiches and drinks there too every day your be a lot better off.