Old February 4th 14, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL admits to card-clash

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:52:03 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
Another method: could one "surrender" a OnePulse card at a TfL office
and get a cash refund for the balance?

I can't imagine the typical ticket office liking that, and you can't
always get a cash refund on Oyster cards anyway depending on how the
credit got there in the first place.

I'm intending to run mine down to zero through some careful top-ups
but I make a handful of fairly predictable journeys most weeks so it
shouldn't be too tricky to do that.

Old February 4th 14, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 10:52:04 on Tue, 4 Feb
2014, Mizter T remarked:
"I am writing to remind you to only touch the card you intend
to pay with on the yellow card reader. Keeping your Oyster
cards and any contactless payment cards separate helps to
avoid 'card clash'.

"If you touch the reader with a wallet or purse containing
lots of cards, this may lead to 'card clash' and the ticket
gates not opening, slowing down your journey. It could also
result in payment being taken from a card you did not intend
to use.

So that's another frog boiled (the one about Oyster meaning all you
have to do is touch your wallet).

I'll add it to the list, including ones like [not TfL] ATMs meaning no
more queues at banks - which I remember every time I queue at an ATM.

This isn't news,

So why email all their [registered] Oyster users?

Have they? I had an e mail from them last week with my weekly usage (first
time since before last October) but nothing since.

nor some massive shock revelation.

Depends whether you are a frog, or a frog boiler.

TfL have said it since they started accepting contactless card payments
on buses over a year ago.

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to try out my Barclaycard
OnePulse and see what happens.

Ask them?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 5th 14, 01:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Only if one accepts that the designers of both the Oyster and PayWave
technologies were incapable of working out how to exclude clashes.

I have two PayWave cards. Which one should it pick?

This impresses me as an opportunity for wallet makers. I have a
wallet with a built-in tinfoit hat that shields all of my RFID cards.
You can see it he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d_8bn_4yx8

For the commuters, it wouldn't be very hard to make a version of this
wallet that has one deliberately unshielded slot for your Oyster or
whatever.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Old February 5th 14, 06:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:26:51 on
Tue, 4 Feb 2014, David Walters remarked:

[OnePulse]

I'm intending to run mine down to zero through some careful top-ups

Mine is on auto top-up, so I suppose I'd need to switch that off first.

On the other hand, maybe the Oyster part will keep working after the
credit card side times out?

Old February 5th 14, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 01:09:13PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

Although adding in ITSO as well might require said boffins to be able to
tell the difference between three cards.

If only there were some closely related technology which had had to solve
problems like these before. Then people could learn from the past and
come up with something that works instead of just failing ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSMA/CD

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

Planckton: n, the smallest possible living thing

Old February 5th 14, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/02/2014 13:41, michael adams wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...
In message , at 10:52:04 on Tue, 4 Feb 2014,

This isn't news,

So why email all their [registered] Oyster users?

Because up until now, for the past 12 months if not longer, this
information has only appeared in various newspaper articles and
on web forums. Unfortunately the fact that the said articles
and forums are often accompanied by reader recommendations
to use cooking foil barriers (useless apparently) and similar
nonsense often casts doubt on the original information.

Now however, its official.

michael adams

I wonder if an anti'static bag would shield the card?

---