Old March 5th 14, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Change at Hammersmith?

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at 02:00:09 on Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Recliner remarked:
Same thing at KXSP between Thameslink and LU, yes?

Yes (in reference to just one fare being charged).

True, though I don't know why people would change there rather than at
Farringdon, apart from the lack of step-free access at the latter.

It would be a bit out of the way to go from Luton to (say) Victoria, via Farringdon.

Yes, as you may have guessed, I was thinking if the sub-surface lines.

If you were heading east on the subsurface lines anyway, changing at
Farringdon is better (than Kings Cross). Although the paired-by-use
layout ensures the maximum amount of star-climbing is required. [Perhaps
they have lifts too, after the rebuild].

There's a small fly in the ointment though. If someone has arrived on a
"London terminals" ticket, that's not valid to Farringdon, and I presume
therefore it's not strictly allowed to travel to Farringdon and then
touch-in on Oyster from there. (And vice versa on the way home).

Presumably OSI isn't relevant in that case.

Old March 5th 14, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 18:56:19 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

I ended up with a very peculiar double charge last weekend. I was
travelling from West Croydon to Stratford via Canada Water. I have a
Z23 Travelcard so expected to get a 2 zone extension charge which was
duly deducted at Stratford. I popped into Westfield and was in time
to get the GA train to T Hale. That is within the availability on my
ticket so no charge should have been made.

However on checking my Oyster account I saw a second charge made on
exit from T Hale. I have had a refund after a chat with the Oyster
help line. The bizarre thing is that the system joined the two
journeys together despite Stratford not being an OSI and then
proceeded to charge me as if I've gone via Zone 1 so it also ignored
the pink validator touch at Canada Water. Even sillier is that there
is an alternative fare for West Croydon to T Hale (NR) via Canada
Water which is the same fare as Stratford.

I have allowed the help line to send the journey details from my
account to the Oyster team so they investigate whatever Gremlin there
is the system that can join journeys together where there is no OSI
and where there is a valid non Z1 fare in the system!

It would be you to get caught!

The chap on the Help Desk gathered pretty quickly that I knew what I
was talking about :-)

While I appreciate the irony the underlying issue is that if there is
a glitch in the system it is better that I found it and then asked
that it be referred on with a view to there being a fix. I wasn't
massively out of pocket but I was still mischarged and there might be
others who are having money sucked out of their PAYG balances for
doing nothing wrong. I can't see why the system did what it did but
even so I followed the rules, I checked the fares in advance and
*still* there was an issue.

Oh, indeed. Very correct and public-spirited of you and what most people in
this group would have done, I'm sure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 5th 14, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

Maybe it is a legacy of the days when the Jubilee line had a separate
gateline and therefore Stratford was an OSI of sorts?

Peter Smyth
Old March 6th 14, 06:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Wed, 5 Mar
2014 00:00:13 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 21:24:36 +0000, Mizter T
wrote:

On 27/02/2014 12:23, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 03:16:25 +0000 (UTC), John Levine
wrote:

I'm flying into Heathrow on Sunday and staying at a hotel near
Paddington. Heathrow Express is a bit rich for my tastes, and Connect
only runs once an hour, so I might as well take the tube.

The obvious route is to change at Hammersmith from the Piccadilly to
the Circle or H&C line. My recollection is that the two stations are
across the street from each other, so you have to tap out and tap back
in. Is that considered part of the same trip, or a separate trip?

It counts as one trip provided you change between gatelines within 20
minutes. That should not be a problem.

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/out-of...terchange-osi/

A friend got a bit indignant with me when they were charged two fares
for a similar journey... turned out they'd got distracted by a retail
emporium.

[...]

I assume you touched out and in on gateline validators at Stratford.
There are Continuation Exit validators on platforms at Stratford, whose
usage might result in something like what you saw.
The online account should show routing validator touches.
POM (Passenger Operated Machine) on screen and TOM (Ticket Office
Machine) on paper Journey History statements do not do so.
Journey History reports from stations do not show touch in times for
complete rail journeys. Travel Information Office machines - such as at
Liverpool Street - show both touch in and touch out times.
I do not know if they show routing validator touches.
--
Walter Briscoe