Old May 5th 14, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default strike suspended

Three-day London Underground strike suspended

Edward Cowling North London UK
http://twitter.com/gnilwoce
http://mardoun.weebly.com/
http://www.facebook.com/ed.cowling

Old May 5th 14, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:42:19 on Mon, 5 May
2014, Edward Cowling remarked:
Three-day London Underground strike suspended

"Mr Hufton added: "Modernisation of the Tube means that it is our
intention to close all ticket offices, used in less than 3% of journeys"

As ever, it would aid transparency to know what the percentage was if
they excluded season tickets (to a first approximation I won't insist
that an annual season ticket bought at a ticket office counts as 400+
journeys).
Old May 5th 14, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
Three-day London Underground strike suspended

wot only two posts on this in 5 hours

Is everybody on holiday ;-)

(great news for me though!)

tim

Old May 5th 14, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 May 2014 13:13:46 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
"Mr Hufton added: "Modernisation of the Tube means that it is our
intention to close all ticket offices, used in less than 3% of journeys"

As ever, it would aid transparency to know what the percentage was if
they excluded season tickets (to a first approximation I won't insist
that an annual season ticket bought at a ticket office counts as 400+
journeys).

3% of journeys is still a hell of a lot and more than enough reason to keep
them. If it really is just modernisation and not cost cutting why are they
seeking voluntary redundancies? The unions should call their bluff and say
fine - close the offices and modernise practises , but keep all the staff.
Lets see what Mike Brown has to say then.

--
Spud

Old May 5th 14, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:42:19 on Mon, 5 May
2014, Edward Cowling remarked:
Three-day London Underground strike suspended

"Mr Hufton added: "Modernisation of the Tube means that it is our
intention to close all ticket offices, used in less than 3% of journeys"

As ever, it would aid transparency to know what the percentage was if they
excluded season tickets (to a first approximation I won't insist that an
annual season ticket bought at a ticket office counts as 400+ journeys).

I am of similar mind

I thought that the initial claim was only 3% of passengers use TOs

But 3% of *all*TfL journeys is a huge number, especially when you think
that a single ride on the bus counts as one journey and I can't imagine that
many of those start at a TO.

I still remain convinced that this big bang of closing all TO in one go and
expecting the 1,000,000 people per day to change their habits and suddenly
start using machines is doomed to failure and chaos will ensue - and that's
just considering the people who are queuing, by choice, to buy "normal!"
tickets, ignoring all of the edge cases that the machines can't handle.

And as for rolling it out before they have any idea whatsoever how many
people will switch to pay wave - NUTS! (As commented before, none of my 3
card providers has yet to send me a suitably enabled card - I can't be
alone!)

tim

[1] (3% of 24 million is 720,000 and then there's the bus pax on top)

Old May 5th 14, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim..... wrote on 05 May 2014 17:58:04 ...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:42:19 on Mon, 5 May
2014, Edward Cowling remarked:
Three-day London Underground strike suspended

"Mr Hufton added: "Modernisation of the Tube means that it is our
intention to close all ticket offices, used in less than 3% of journeys"

As ever, it would aid transparency to know what the percentage was if they
excluded season tickets (to a first approximation I won't insist that an
annual season ticket bought at a ticket office counts as 400+ journeys).

I am of similar mind

I thought that the initial claim was only 3% of passengers use TOs

But 3% of *all*TfL journeys is a huge number, especially when you think
that a single ride on the bus counts as one journey and I can't imagine that
many of those start at a TO.

Who is saying it's 3% of ALL TfL journeys? The quote I saw was from
Phil Hufton of LU in the context of LU ticket offices and LU journeys.
--
Richard J.
Old May 5th 14, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Mon, 5 May 2014 13:13:46 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
"Mr Hufton added: "Modernisation of the Tube means that it is our
intention to close all ticket offices, used in less than 3% of journeys"

As ever, it would aid transparency to know what the percentage was if
they excluded season tickets (to a first approximation I won't insist
that an annual season ticket bought at a ticket office counts as 400+
journeys).

3% of journeys is still a hell of a lot and more than enough reason to
keep
them. If it really is just modernisation and not cost cutting why are they
seeking voluntary redundancies? The unions should call their bluff and say
fine - close the offices and modernise practises , but keep all the staff.
Lets see what Mike Brown has to say then.

Unions are supposed to act in the interests of the work force [1]

If my employer were offing redundancy terms that I (or others) were minded
to accept and the union wanted to go on strike to get them to withdraw that
offer I'd be sending back my union card

tim

[1] I know that frequently they don't, but this is just so blatantly the
wrong thing to do it would get noticed

Old May 5th 14, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article ,
(tim.....) wrote:

I still remain convinced that this big bang of closing all TO in one
go and expecting the 1,000,000 people per day to change their habits
and suddenly start using machines is doomed to failure and chaos will
ensue - and that's just considering the people who are queuing, by
choice, to buy "normal!" tickets, ignoring all of the edge cases that
the machines can't handle.

Who says they are going to close them all at once?

Boris, by 2015 (I can't remember if a month was stated)

I thought they had been
closing ticket offices for some time.

Well OK, they probably aren't going to shut them all at exactly the same
time.

And as for rolling it out before they have any idea whatsoever how
many people will switch to pay wave - NUTS! (As commented before,
none of my 3 card providers has yet to send me a suitably enabled
card - I can't be alone!)

They must have some idea of the consequences of closing the ticket offices
they have already closed, surely?

They must. But the rational for this full closure is the expected use of
PayWave, and they can't have any idea if this will become the alternative of
choice because it isn't available yet

I switched to ticket stops when they imposed an arbitrary £5 minimum
top-up
at ticket offices.

you can top up with as little as 10p at the machines

tim