Old February 5th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Default Derelict London photosite

"Kat" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

I don't know about the Murder Mile but there was a drive-by

shooting
there (Clapton Pond) three or four years ago.

Surely you mean paddle-by.

Old February 5th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"John of Aix" wrote in message

"Kat" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

I don't know about the Murder Mile but there was a drive-by

shooting
there (Clapton Pond) three or four years ago.

Surely you mean paddle-by.

hee hee hee hee.
this should not go by un-noticed.
but i'm afraid there are some heathens abounding.

Old February 6th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , tosspot
writes

"John of Aix" wrote in message

"Kat" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

I don't know about the Murder Mile but there was a drive-by

shooting
there (Clapton Pond) three or four years ago.

Surely you mean paddle-by.

hee hee hee hee.
this should not go by un-noticed.

No man in thigh-high waders would go un-noticed...
--
Kat Not everything that can be counted counts,

and not everything that counts can be counted.
~Albert Einstein~
Old February 6th 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , tosspot
writes

"John of Aix" wrote in message

"Kat" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

I don't know about the Murder Mile but there was a drive-by
shooting
there (Clapton Pond) three or four years ago.

---------------------------------
Did they Duck?

Old February 6th 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , The Bloke Next
Door writes

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , tosspot
writes

"John of Aix" wrote in message

"Kat" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

I don't know about the Murder Mile but there was a drive-by
shooting
there (Clapton Pond) three or four years ago.

---------------------------------
Did they Duck?

Don't know about that but all the frogs croaked...

Old February 6th 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , The Bloke Next
Door writes

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , tosspot
writes

"John of Aix" wrote in message

"Kat" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

I don't know about the Murder Mile but there was a drive-by
shooting
there (Clapton Pond) three or four years ago.

---------------------------------
Did they Duck?

Don't know about that but all the frogs croaked...

------------------------------------
No need to carp!!

Old February 7th 04, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"The Bloke Next Door" Bloke@NextDoor wrote in message

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , The Bloke Next
Door writes

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , tosspot
writes

"John of Aix" wrote in message

"Kat" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

I don't know about the Murder Mile but there was a drive-by
shooting
there (Clapton Pond) three or four years ago.
---------------------------------
Did they Duck?

Don't know about that but all the frogs croaked...

------------------------------------
No need to carp!!

You guys quack me up.
: )

Old February 7th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

John Rowland wrote in message

Enjoy!

http://www.derelictlondon.com/

I notice that it includes a photo of Mitre Square, which is odd, cos Mitre
Square isn't derelict, even if it is cobbled. I should know, I worked at 1
Mitre Square for enough years.
--
ZK - no, Nigel: it's _not_ a brand of glue ...

Old February 7th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
Enjoy!

http://www.derelictlondon.com/

The Silvertown Disaster is rather interesting, and sad. The plant was
owned at that time by Brunner & Mond, later to become part of ICI, and
I think spun off as a separate company again a few years ago. The
process being carried out which led to the explosion was the
purification of TNT, which reacts violently with alkali. The
Government insisted that this work be carried out at the disused
caustic alkali plant, in a populated area, against the advice of the
B&M management. I don't know the exact details of the process, but it
involved disolving the explosive in hot alcohol. A major producer of
alcohol for industrial purposes was the distillary at Three Mills,
just a few km away, so it may well have come from there. This place
was still producing alcohol for munitions use at the start of WW II,
which led to it being one of the first places in London to be bombed
during that war.

Back to Silvertown, the purification was carried out by a batch
process, which produced far less output than a more modern process
used elsewhere. The small quantities of explosive produced at
Silvertown made only a small contribution to the war effort, at great
risk to the local population, and the workers at the plant. This work
really should have been carried out elsewhere.

The original market for the caustic alkali which had previously been
produced at the plant was the soap boilers that operated in the
Stratford area, using fats produced as by-products of the slaughter
houses which were set up in this area when moved out from London to
beyond the Lea.

For information about cinema buildings contact the Cinema Theatre
Association, they have a web site. I would like to see one '30s
cinema preserved with all original equipment, carbon arcs, Brenograph,
rewind room, generators or mercury arc rectifiers, nitrate film
precautions, plenum plant etc., the equipment still exists in various
places that could be put back into a suitable building, but I don't
think it's going to happen. It's just not the same running the modern
stuff.
Old February 8th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 23:00:17 -0000, "Zobo Kolonie"
wrote:

John Rowland wrote in message

Enjoy!

http://www.derelictlondon.com/

I notice that it includes a photo of Mitre Square, which is odd, cos Mitre
Square isn't derelict, even if it is cobbled. I should know, I worked at 1
Mitre Square for enough years.

Not everything on the site seems to be strictly derelict, so I
wouldn't take the name too literally.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk