Old February 8th 04, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Default Derelict London photosite

In article , Stephen
Furley writes

For information about cinema buildings contact the Cinema Theatre
Association, they have a web site. I would like to see one '30s
cinema preserved with all original equipment, carbon arcs, Brenograph,
rewind room, generators or mercury arc rectifiers, nitrate film
precautions, plenum plant etc., the equipment still exists in various
places that could be put back into a suitable building, but I don't
think it's going to happen. It's just not the same running the modern
stuff.

Have you been to the Dome cinema in Worthing?
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old February 9th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Tristán White wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:44:09 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Enjoy!

http://www.derelictlondon.com/

Top website!!! Well found!

Notice how the *vast* majority of the images were taken in your beloved east
London ;-p
--
ZK - Catch this you slimey blobs!

Old February 9th 04, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

wrote:

Enjoy!

http://www.derelictlondon.com/

Where abouts is Plaistow station http://www.derelictlondon.com/id7.htm

I use it frequently but can't recall seeing that site. And my OS map
of Plaistow in the late 1800s has the station in the same place as
where it is now, IIRC.
Old February 9th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Tristán White" wrote in message

Where abouts is Plaistow station
http://www.derelictlondon.com/id7.htm

I use it frequently but can't recall seeing that site.
And my OS map of Plaistow in the late 1800s
has the station in the same place as
where it is now, IIRC.

Plaistow station has two District Line tracks (4 rails per track and no
overhead wires) with platforms either side of them. On the south side of all
that there are also two "British Rail" tracks (2 rails per track, and
overhead electric wires) The platform view is clearly of the "British Rail"
lines, so I would guess that it is a derelict platform at the current
station site. About 50% of the District Line stations between Upminster and
Bromley-By-Bow have platforms on the British Rail lines, mostly derelict.
Judging by the camera angle, I would say it was taken from the London-bound
District Line platform through a hole in the wall.

I don't have any thoughts about the other picture, except that I would guess
that this too is somewhere at the current station site.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 9th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Tristán White wrote in message . ..

Where abouts is Plaistow station http://www.derelictlondon.com/id7.htm

I use it frequently but can't recall seeing that site. And my OS map
of Plaistow in the late 1800s has the station in the same place as
where it is now, IIRC.

Where the station is now, there used to be platforms on the
London,Tilbury and Southend tracks, which were closed, I think at the
time of the electrification in about 1960. The derelict platforms can
still be seen at several of the stations on the line.
Old February 9th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

wrote:

Enjoy!

http://www.derelictlondon.com/

Where abouts is Plaistow station
http://www.derelictlondon.com/id7.htm

I use it frequently but can't recall seeing that site. And my OS
map of Plaistow in the late 1800s has the station in the same
place as where it is now, IIRC.

Those are the former London, Tilbury and Southend platforms, the closed
off part of the station which c2c trains pass through.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
The Hutton Report is a whitewash! Long live the BBC!

Crime is confusing.
Old February 9th 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"John Rowland" wrote the
following in:

[...]

That's correct. Probably near the vending machines on the westbound
platform.

I don't have any thoughts about the other picture, except that I
would guess that this too is somewhere at the current station
site.

The first picture is another part of the platform building, immediately
to the right of what you can see in the second picture.

Old February 9th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Andrew P Smith wrote in message ...

Have you been to the Dome cinema in Worthing?

I've never been there; I know that it was closed for a while some
years ago, due to roof problems, I think. I don't know what equipment
is installed there now. It wasn't mentioned in a decent discussion on
the Film-tech forums on carbon arcs on the U.K., so I assumed it had
now converted to xenon, do you know?

Until a couple of years ago, the Plaxa, Oxted was still running
Peerless Magnarcs, on Simplex machines If I remember correctly, and
the New Royal at Faversham had Kalee Presidents on pre-war BTH
machines. Both of these have now re-equipped, and were the last that
I was aware of in the South of England.

The Astra, Duxford (part of the Imperial War Museum) had carbon arcs,
and the Projected Picture Trust gave occasional shows there, but I
believe that it is now no longer open to public visitors to the
Museum.

At least one of the preview theatres at Pinewood Studios was still on
carbons a few years ago, but there was talk of it converting.

I was told that the Tyneside Cinema still had two screens on carbons a
few months ago, and there was another somewhere, Scarborough?, that
was still carbon, but who's future was uncertain. That's about it for
this country, as far as I know.

I have Bell and Howell 609 16mm carbon arc, weighs a ton!

The State, Grays closed, but the foyer was used as a club for some
years, and the auditorium was still used from time to time for organ
concerts, until the club closed. At that time the box was still fully
equipped, one of the three projectors, both the follow spots, a '50s
Philips and a '30s Stelmar, and the Brenograph were still carbon. I
don't know what has happened to the place since closure.

In the USA, the Byrd Theatre in Richmond VA was carbon, including a
Brenograph, until a year or two ago, but has now converted. This was
the last working Brenograph still burning carbons that I know of.
There is a xenon converted one at the Enigma Cinema, Bletchley Park
Museum.

The Loews Jersey Theatre in Jersey City NY has a pair of Kinoton
FP-20s with Ashcraft Super Core-lite arcs, burning at about 160A.
This place is under restoration, and has shown film about once a month
between bout October and May for the last two years. This year there
seem to be few events there. I've been over a couple of times, it's
worth seeing. The have a web-site at www.loewsjersey.org. They also
have two Brenographs, not working, but at least one of them could be
restored.
Old February 9th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

In article , Stephen
Furley writes

I've never been there; I know that it was closed for a while some
years ago, due to roof problems, I think. I don't know what equipment
is installed there now. It wasn't mentioned in a decent discussion on
the Film-tech forums on carbon arcs on the U.K., so I assumed it had
now converted to xenon, do you know?

English Heritage forced the local council to restore the roof on the
Dome itself when they let it fall into disrepair. Cost them £250K and
worth every penny. It was leased to Robins Cinemas but is now in the
hands of a trust who are applying to the lottery etc for cash.

When I visited the box 4 or so years ago it was still on carbons, and
the projectionist gave me the full tour. I was there looking at places
used in the film 'Wish You Were Here' much of which was shot on the
south coast at Worthing and Bognor.

As far as I know it is still carbon.

And it is still the oldest working cinema in Britain.

Death to the multiplex!

Until a couple of years ago, the Plaxa, Oxted was still running
Peerless Magnarcs, on Simplex machines If I remember correctly, and
the New Royal at Faversham had Kalee Presidents on pre-war BTH
machines. Both of these have now re-equipped, and were the last that
I was aware of in the South of England.

Never been to either of those, they sound nice.

The Astra, Duxford (part of the Imperial War Museum) had carbon arcs,
and the Projected Picture Trust gave occasional shows there, but I
believe that it is now no longer open to public visitors to the
Museum.

PPT has an excellent museum at Bletchley Park (Station X). Well worth a
visit.

At least one of the preview theatres at Pinewood Studios was still on
carbons a few years ago, but there was talk of it converting.

I believe it is still carbon.

I was told that the Tyneside Cinema still had two screens on carbons a
few months ago, and there was another somewhere, Scarborough?, that
was still carbon, but who's future was uncertain. That's about it for
this country, as far as I know.

There used to be a carbon based cinema in Wiltshire - I think it was
Salisbury but it got pulled down to make way for a Doctor's surgery.

I have Bell and Howell 609 16mm carbon arc, weighs a ton!

The State, Grays closed, but the foyer was used as a club for some
years, and the auditorium was still used from time to time for organ
concerts, until the club closed. At that time the box was still fully
equipped, one of the three projectors, both the follow spots, a '50s
Philips and a '30s Stelmar, and the Brenograph were still carbon. I
don't know what has happened to the place since closure.

The old Chiltern Cinema in Beaconsfield still had all the gear in the
box when SBDC who owned it sold it to the highest bidder. It is now a
kids play centre.

I had a look round before it was sold (had been shut for years), very
majestic inside.

Shame it's gone.