Old February 10th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
MCR MCR is offline

Default Derelict London photosite

Stephen Furley wrote:

Tristán White wrote in message . ..

Where abouts is Plaistow station http://www.derelictlondon.com/id7.htm

I use it frequently but can't recall seeing that site. And my OS map
of Plaistow in the late 1800s has the station in the same place as
where it is now, IIRC.

Where the station is now, there used to be platforms on the
London,Tilbury and Southend tracks, which were closed, I think at the
time of the electrification in about 1960. The derelict platforms can
still be seen at several of the stations on the line.

Except at West Ham, which was re-opened and trains stop there again.
All the stations between Barking and West Ham have this derelict
platform, such a waste.

--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making

Old February 10th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"MCR" wrote in message
Stephen Furley wrote:

Where the station is now, there used to be platforms on the
London,Tilbury and Southend tracks, which were closed, I think at the
time of the electrification in about 1960. The derelict platforms can
still be seen at several of the stations on the line.

Except at West Ham, which was re-opened and trains stop there again.
All the stations between Barking and West Ham have this derelict
platform, such a waste.

As do Becontree, Dagenham East and Hornchurch.

Jonn Elledeg

Old February 10th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
MCR MCR is offline

Jonn Elledge wrote:
"MCR" wrote in message

Stephen Furley wrote:

Where the station is now, there used to be platforms on the
London,Tilbury and Southend tracks, which were closed, I think at the
time of the electrification in about 1960. The derelict platforms can
still be seen at several of the stations on the line.

Except at West Ham, which was re-opened and trains stop there again.
All the stations between Barking and West Ham have this derelict
platform, such a waste.

As do Becontree, Dagenham East and Hornchurch.

Jonn Elledeg

Thanks for that. I dont go 'that far out' Barking is my limit ;-)

Old February 11th 04, 01:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"MCR" wrote in message

The derelict platforms can
still be seen at several of the stations on the line.

Except at West Ham, which was re-opened and trains stop there again.

I don't think West Ham ever had platforms on the fast line, before the
tracks were slewed apart a few years back to make room for the current
platform.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 11th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

MCR wrote the following in:

Stephen Furley wrote:

Tristán White wrote in message
. ..

Where abouts is Plaistow station
http://www.derelictlondon.com/id7.htm

I use it frequently but can't recall seeing that site. And my OS
map of Plaistow in the late 1800s has the station in the same
place as where it is now, IIRC.

Where the station is now, there used to be platforms on the
London,Tilbury and Southend tracks, which were closed, I think at
the time of the electrification in about 1960. The derelict
platforms can still be seen at several of the stations on the
line.

Except at West Ham, which was re-opened and trains stop there
again.

West Ham wasn't reopened as far as I could tell. It seemed to me when
travelling there at the time that there was no platform there in the
first place and so a new one had to be built. I could be mistaken
though.

All the stations between Barking and West Ham have this
derelict platform, such a waste.

This sort of thing can be seen at a few other stations too. I'm pretty
certain there are derelict platforms at Becontree, Dagenham East and
Hornchurch. There may also be platforms at Bromley-by-Bow. It does seem
a shame that these platforms go to waste, but there is already a
service that stops at all stations between West Ham and Upminster so
there's really no need to slow down the c2c services by making them
stop more than they currently do.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
The Hutton Report is a whitewash! Long live the BBC!

Crime is confusing.

Old February 11th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Feb 2004 14:41:32 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

MCR wrote the following in:

Except at West Ham, which was re-opened and trains stop there
again.

West Ham wasn't reopened as far as I could tell. It seemed to me when
travelling there at the time that there was no platform there in the
first place and so a new one had to be built. I could be mistaken
though.

Taken from "Fenchurch Street to Barking" by J.E. Connor, published by
Middleton Press, ISBN 1 901706 20 6

Part of caption for photo 84.
"West Ham Station was opened on 1st February 1901, and rebuilt with
two island platforms in 1905"

Part of caption for photo 85.
"Regular LTSR trains ceased to call in 1913, leaving the through
platforms for the use of NLR services only. When these ceased in World
War 1, the southernmost island virtually fell into disuse, although it
was retained for emergencies."

Part of caption for photo 86.
"The disused island was demolished in 1956, leaving just a widening in
the formation."

Part of caption for photo 87.
"In September 1997 Railtrack agreed to erect a new platform on the
site of that which was demolished in 1956."

HTH