Old June 6th 14, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Private roads paid for by the tax payer

I received an email from my MP today asking me to sign a petition to stop
the council banning local residents from using a road being paid for with
£7m of tax payers money. This is a new one on me. We have toll roads paid
for with private money. Restricted access roads where everybody pays (such
as the congestion charge) but this idea is completely new. Non residents
will get to use this road but residents will get fined if they use it.

Kevin

"Sign my petition to let us use the new Link Road
View this email in your browser

Bushey Arches, West Watford and the ring road all suffer from traffic
congestion, and we now have the opportunity to change this and alleviate
some of the pressure on these routes – but I need your help or it may not
happen!

Around two years ago I secured £7million of funding from the Government
toward a new Link Road, which will create access from the M1 via Dalton Way,
to the back of the Hospital near Cardiff Road. This was excellent news and
very welcome, it will undoubtedly relieve pressure by removing Hospital
traffic from other routes, and will ensure faster response times with
ambulances no longer having to battle their way down Vicarage Road.

Since then however I have heard of the Council’s plans to install number
plate recognition cameras along the Link Road to make sure that Watford
residents cannot use it. Local residents using the new road to get home for
example, would receive a fine.

I do not believe that local residents are properly aware of this, and I want
that to change. I also do not believe that preventing local people from
using the road is fair; after all it is being paid for with public money.

I have written to the Managing Director of Watford Borough Council and asked
that, firstly, the cameras are not installed. This would mean residents of
West Watford, Vicarage and Holywell could use the road without penalty – it
would not alter the construction of the road itself. Secondly, I have asked
the Council to put in ‘turns’ at Wiggenhall Road, to allow residents coming
from Oxhey for example, to turn onto the Link Road so that they have an
alternative route of access to the motorways. I think this is particularly
important as no action has been taken to alleviate pressure at Bushey Arches
for a number of years, and we should not miss this opportunity to take
proper action.

Therefore, while the road will ease some pressure and I do still support its
construction, particularly for improved Hospital access, it could do so much
more for local residents. This is an opportunity to finally make life easier
for local residents travelling in and around Watford, and to ease congestion
at Bushey Arches significantly, and this is not a chance I want us to miss
out on"

Old June 6th 14, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 6 June 2014 18:05:09 UTC+1, K wrote:
[...]

The MP has got it wrong. The proposal is that part of the new Link Road between the two new roundabouts would be for emergency vehicles only. There would be no distinction between residents and non-residents.
Old June 6th 14, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote in message

[...]

They are building a road purely for emergency vehicles. It gets better.

Old June 6th 14, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kevin wrote on 06 June 2014 20:34:21 ...
[...]

1. Get a newsreader that quotes properly.

2. Who is this incompetent MP who asks people to sign petitions rather
than establishing the facts and asking the borough council directly?

3. There's nothing wrong in principle with restricting a stretch of road
to emergency vehicles if the road network beyond the hospital doesn't
have the capacity for hordes of rat-runners.

3. Find a more relevant newsgroup or forum. Local road issues in Watford
are OT for utl.
--
Richard J.
Old June 6th 14, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...

3. Find a more relevant newsgroup or forum. Local road issues in Watford
are OT for utl.
--
Richard J.

There is a thread on the Abbey Flyer and no doubt the Met ext to Watford
Junc will come up. If Watford can't be raised here then delete the Abbey
Flyer thread. I have no idea why my news reader doesn't quote properly.
Wasn't a problem before I went to Windows 7.

Old June 6th 14, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-06-06, Kevin wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message ...

3. Find a more relevant newsgroup or forum. Local road issues in Watford
are OT for utl.

--
Richard J.

There is a thread on the Abbey Flyer and no doubt the Met ext to Watford
Junc will come up. If Watford can't be raised here then delete the Abbey
Flyer thread. I have no idea why my news reader doesn't quote properly.
Wasn't a problem before I went to Windows 7.

You replied below the previous poster's signature, so there will be
readers who have not seen what you actually said. I had to bypass my
newsreader's normal behaviour to get your words into this post to reply
to them. Your newsreader software may be a bit stupid, but I suspect you
could learn to use it so that your posts followed the normal Usenet
conventions.

As for OT, the Met is a London railway, even though it goes outside, as
would the Abbey Flyer be if it were Overgrounded. The link road has no
connection with London as such, though to be honest I would not have
bothered to object.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry
Old June 6th 14, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kevin wrote on 06 June 2014 22:45:56 ...
"Richard J." wrote in message ...

3. Find a more relevant newsgroup or forum. Local road issues in Watford
are OT for utl.

There is a thread on the Abbey Flyer and no doubt the Met ext to Watford
Junc will come up. If Watford can't be raised here then delete the Abbey
Flyer thread.

Yes, good idea. The Met to Watford is clearly a London issue. But
local road schemes in Watford aren't.

I have no idea why my news reader doesn't quote properly.
Wasn't a problem before I went to Windows 7.

Your reader also retains the previous poster's sig, so your response
appears as part of the sig, and is liable to be removed during the reply
process.
--
Richard J.
Old June 7th 14, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-06-06, Kevin wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message ...

[...]

I don't get the point that you are making. The Abbey Flyer is not a London
railway so why does the proposed take over by TfL get discussed here? When
and if the Abbey Flyer becomes a TfL railway then it would become valid to
discuss it even though it is in Herfordshire.

Old June 7th 14, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...

3. Find a more relevant newsgroup or forum. Local road issues in Watford
are OT for utl.

There is a thread on the Abbey Flyer and no doubt the Met ext to Watford
Junc will come up. If Watford can't be raised here then delete the Abbey
Flyer thread.

Yes, good idea. The Met to Watford is clearly a London issue. But
local road schemes in Watford aren't.

I have no idea why my news reader doesn't quote properly.
Wasn't a problem before I went to Windows 7.

Your reader also retains the previous poster's sig, so your response
appears as part of the sig, and is liable to be removed during the reply
process.
--
Richard J.

Why is the Met in Watford "clearly" a London issue?
Old June 7th 14, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:19:56 on
Sat, 7 Jun 2014, Kevin remarked:

The Abbey Flyer is not a London railway so why does the proposed
take over by TfL get discussed here?

Because the "L" in TfL is London.

ps You are still posting your replies into the signature field, many
people won't either read or reply as a result.