Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26th 14, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 26/06/2014 00:55, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:00:36 +0100, "
wrote:

What are the plans for expanding contactless into other cities or
further afield on NR?

I think the Rail Delivery Group are considering the technology but
beyond that I don't know. I am not aware that any of the city regions
are considering contactless bank cards - they're all struggling to get
ITSO based schemes into service.

FWIW, Merseyrail now accepts payments for paper tickets by
contactless card:

http://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-pa...ntactless-paym
ent.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-24794486

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/...rail-completes
-deployment-of-contactless-ticket-payment-systems/

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...roduces-contac
tless-payment

The latter two articles make it clear that this is contactless
payment being added as an option to ticket offices and to TVMs
(initially at the former, with the latter following later) - so a
much more conventional deployment of the technology compared to
London.

(I can see a quite delightful scope for confusion should TVMs and
ticket offices in London start accepting contactless cards as a means
of paying for conventional paper tickets!)

The big gain is not having to visit a ticket office or ticket machine.
e-Tickets and Print-at-Home do that too. If you've seen the ticket
office/machine queues at Cambridge at times (Saturday morning is often
worst) you'd see why such options are needed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel