Old July 19th 14, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Cap confusion

On 19/07/2014 18:53, Mizter T wrote:

On 19/07/2014 18:40, Peter Able wrote:
[...]
Many thanks, Paul. Just another example of Scrambled Oyster, then.

It's a legacy thing, harking back to when there was a train leaving
Chesham at some point between 09:10 and 09:30.

The timetable may change in the future.

I hope not. The immediately previous departure pattern - 0929 and 0959
was REALLY annoying.

Understood!

Mind you, with the crazy regulation of late one regularly gets the fare
back. ;-}}

It's that bad, eh?

Our last trip in - on the 0910, so we paid full fare, but in return at
least got a "fast" schedule - was a farce. Much earlier there had been
a train taken out of service at Baker Street. This was blamed for the
way we crawled down to Harrow. At Harrow we were parallel with a slow
Met southbound service - as usual. The slow set off first but ran fast
enough that even with the two stops it had to make before Wembley Park
it still got to WP ahead of our "fast". At last, I thought, we'll
overtake 'em now - but no. The operator announced that "as we're
running so slow Control has instructed me to call at Wembley Park so you
can get onto the Jubilee service". So we stopped and most of the
passengers hike off and up over the bridge. Then we set off - and, of
course, as the bottleneck on that line is where the two southbound Met
lines converge just south of the Wembley Park platforms, we went like
the wind - overtaking all the poor sods who'd been driven off our train
(and off the slow - imaging the crush loading!) - plus two more
southbound Jubilees.

Even then we were 20m down on the TfL estimate of our South Ken arrival
estimate - so we at least got our fares back.

And don't get me going about the T-Cup !!

PA

Old July 19th 14, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/07/2014 19:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
18:57:13 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Peter Able remarked:
What is it about Chesham, and/or the unofficial site, which makes the
author think TfL won't honour their commitment after 9.10?

What commitment?

The off-peak capping.

But without any trains between 0910 and 0934, the commitment is
worthless, Roland.

It's not worthless, it allows you to benefit from the lower cap despite
entering the platform before 0930.

The simple answer is that you learn not to turn up that early, have a
seat in the old booking office, go for a walk - or whatever. Very few
will knowingly or unknowingly benefit - and many more will be penalised
£2.80 because they know no better.