Old July 23rd 14, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gates open at Finsbury Park

Have FCC given up with the gates on the high level platforms? Always seemed
to me a bloody stupid place to put them.

--
Spud

Old July 24th 14, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:59:19 on
Wed, 23 Jul 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
"Due to improvement works the ticket office at Finsbury Park will be
shut from the 21 July to the 27 July"

Sounds a bit like the "improvements" elsewhere which have closed the
line to Uxbridge completely, and mean Bond Street Jubilee Line station
is closed.

Do you moan about absolutely everything just so you can then argue the
toss for the next 5 weeks?

Two things stand out regarding these particular closures.

One is the "Hutbers Law" aspect, the other is the way things were being
announced.

Yesterday I caught a Jubilee Line train from Baker Street to Waterloo,
and at Baker Street the driver announced the Bond St closure and advised
people to use the Bakerloo via Oxford Circus. On arrival at Green Park
he said "For people who ignored my last announcement, you'll have to
change to the Victoria Line for Oxford Circus then change to the
Central".

On station concourses there was widely differing public address advice
about the Uxbridge closure, from notification about bus replacement
services to bald requests to "find an alternative route to your
destination".

You'll be suggesting next that if only people made an effort Crossrail
could be built, commissioned and brought into service in 2 years
rather than 8 years.

I was always surprised they didn't put in the effort early enough to get
it finished for the Olympics. But at least it'll have taken less time
than Thameslink!
Old July 24th 14, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:59:19 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
Both of the above approaches are used elsewhere in the world so it's
not some "London is useless syndrome". Care to tell us how you'd
built connecting corridors under escalator banks at Bond St while
keeping the place open? And how to rebuild miles of track while
keeping trains running?

To be fair, I've never really understood why LU have to close a station
just because the lifts and/or escalators arn't working. There are these
things called stairs - in fact you could just switch the escalators off
and use them as stairs too - and so long as you make it perfectly clear to
passengers on the train beforehand that they'll have a bit of a hike to and
from the platform I really don't see what the issue is.

--
Spud

Old July 24th 14, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:30:01 on
Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:

It's not as if these sorts of closures cause complete mayhem.

What I forgot to mention earlier was the advice to catch two additional
trains with a change at Oxford Circus. Surely it would be better to get
out at Green Park and walk?

Old July 24th 14, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:08:03 on
Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
All you're really saying is that someone didn't give "perfect" (as
defined by you) advice for people displaced by a closure.

I was also interested in the "for people who ignored my last
announcement" bit.
Old July 24th 14, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:30:01 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
And if there is a risk of ground settlement during excavation works?

If thats likely to happen I wouldn't want to be on a train running through!

There is no point turning escalators into fixed stairs and warning
people in advance. You will always have someone turn up who simply
cannot use them and will say "I never saw the poster / read the sign /
heard the announcement".

Thats just tough **** for them TBH.

Further there may be fire evacuation issues as stations assume they
are working to get people out. A fixed staircase may not provide
enough capacity in the event of needing to get people out.

Now that I hadn't considered.

close part of a station for three years for no good reason then I
might have more sympathy with those complaining.

It took them years to renew the escalators at holborn. I think the station
was built in less time.

--
Spud

Old July 24th 14, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:08:03 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
To which my "shout at the telly" reply was "you daft *$*%*$&$ you can
walk from Leicester Square to Victoria in about 20 minutes".

On 7/7 when the bombs went off I ended up walking from liverpool street
to mill hill. Took about 4 hours. I remember every single bus stop was
rammed with bovine eyed morons vainly waiting for a bus to show up. I
occasionally took pity on them and told them there were no buses but 99%
of them just ignored me. Oh well. Stupid is as stupid does.

--
Spud