Old August 4th 14, 06:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tunbridge Wells

Some while ago, I had cause to try to understand Oyster fares on NR.

After some searching https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay.../national-rail gave the map and faretables.

Not too easy to follow for a layman.

DRH

On Sunday, 3 August 2014 20:35:01 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at

11:32:32 on Sun, 3 Aug 2014, remarked:

Are current Oyster fares from central London to Harold Wood and

Brentwood identical (a "mid-Essex" zone) and if so what would Oyster

charge for a journey from Harold Wood to Brentwood?

Poor example as Harold Wood is within Greater London.

I meant Brentwood and Shenfield, sorry.

The single fare finder gives results that put Brentwood "beyond" zone

9.

And Shenfield "way beyond"?

The problem is the allocation of special zones for NR destinations

beyond zone 6. That eats up the additional zones that Oyster can cope

with.

How many zones can it cope with? Have you heard 15 too?

If TfL pricing could be applied to the extensions then there would be

three existing zones that could be tacked on to each line out of London.

That makes sense with the 15 minus 12 I mentioned earlier. But how does

Oyster handle fares from one of those "three on line A out of London"

and one of those "three on line B out of London"? Or doesn't it matter

if for example every "first station on one of the lines" is the same

price, and every "second station" and every "third station". In effect

three extra zones circling the Capital.

Old August 4th 14, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(DRH) wrote:

Some while ago, I had cause to try to understand Oyster fares on NR.

After some searching
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay.../national-rail gave
the map and faretables.

Not too easy to follow for a layman.

The gory details seem to be at
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...ailcard-fares-
jan-2014.pdf (watch the line wrap).

Please don't top-post.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 4th 14, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, August 4, 2014 12:07:50 PM UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,

(DRH) wrote:

Some while ago, I had cause to try to understand Oyster fares on NR.

After some searching

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay.../national-rail gave

the map and faretables.

Not too easy to follow for a layman.

The gory details seem to be at

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...ailcard-fares-

jan-2014.pdf (watch the line wrap).

Please don't top-post.

--

Colin Rosenstiel

But https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay.../national-rail gives links to map and tariffs, plus useful intro, which may help the original poster and address subsequent comments on zones etc.

DRH
Old August 4th 14, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
05:41:57 on Mon, 4 Aug 2014, DRH remarked:

But https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay.../national-rail gives links to map and tariffs, plus useful intro, which may help the
original poster and address subsequent comments on zones etc.

The map is a first step, but it doesn't have any pounds and pence, and I
can't find a link to a national rail oyster *fare*.

eg in the following page there's no information about fares outside the
TfL zones:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...-dlr-lo-adult-
fares-jan-2014.pdf
Old August 4th 14, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, August 4, 2014 1:54:10 PM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at

05:41:57 on Mon, 4 Aug 2014, DRH remarked:

But https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay.../national-rail gives links to map and tariffs, plus useful intro, which may help the

original poster and address subsequent comments on zones etc.

Click on any of the boxes with a * at the bottom, say Adult, and the fares (and map again)

The map is a first step, but it doesn't have any pounds and pence, and I

can't find a link to a national rail oyster *fare*.

eg in the following page there's no information about fares outside the

TfL zones:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...-dlr-lo-adult-

fares-jan-2014.pdf

Roland

Click on the '+' next to any of the passenger categories at the bottom, say Adult, and a link to the appropriate tariff (and map again) PDF is displayed.

DRH

Old August 4th 14, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/08/2014 13:54, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
05:41:57 on Mon, 4 Aug 2014, DRH remarked:

But https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay.../national-rail gives links to map and tariffs, plus useful intro, which may help the
original poster and address subsequent comments on zones etc.

The map is a first step, but it doesn't have any pounds and pence, and I
can't find a link to a national rail oyster *fare*.

eg in the following page there's no information about fares outside the
TfL zones:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...-dlr-lo-adult-
fares-jan-2014.pdf

That's fares for TfL tariff services (i.e. travel on the Tube, DLR and LO).

Oyster PAYG fares for National Rail are meanwhile he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/national-rail

The full table of non-discounted adult fares is this one:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/national-rail-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

Note there are 'National Rail only fares', and also 'National Rail
through fares' which are for journeys that include NR and TfL modes
(e.g. an NR & Tube through journey).

The single fare finder is however easier to query!
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder
Old August 4th 14, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
06:13:27 on Mon, 4 Aug 2014, DRH remarked:

Click on the '+' next to any of the passenger categories at the bottom, say Adult, and a link to the appropriate tariff (and map again) PDF is
displayed.

OK, that's given me a bit more information:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...al-rail-adult-
fares-jan-2014.pdf

Where do I find the [NR] Oyster fare from (say) Brentwood to Broxbourne?
Old August 4th 14, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, August 4, 2014 2:22:32 PM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at

06:13:27 on Mon, 4 Aug 2014, DRH remarked:

Click on the '+' next to any of the passenger categories at the bottom, say Adult, and a link to the appropriate tariff (and map again) PDF is

displayed.

OK, that's given me a bit more information:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...al-rail-adult-

fares-jan-2014.pdf

Where do I find the [NR] Oyster fare from (say) Brentwood to Broxbourne?

For that, the Single Fare Finder referred to earlier,
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay...le-fare-finder
seems to be the easiest way:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay...ngerType=Adult

DRH
Old August 4th 14, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:19:26 on Mon, 4 Aug 2014,
Mizter T remarked:
The full table of non-discounted adult fares is this one:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/national-rail-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

Doesn't have fares like Brentwood-Broxbourne (eg pairs of outside-zone
NR stations on different 'lines' out of London).

Note there are 'National Rail only fares', and also 'National Rail
through fares' which are for journeys that include NR and TfL modes
(e.g. an NR & Tube through journey).

The single fare finder is however easier to query!
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder

However, that has £5.40 for Brentwood-Broxbourne, which is the same as
either Brentwood-Z3 or Broxbourne-Z3.

Which seems a bargain given you in practice have to go via Z3 on the
way. (If there's a Z4-only route I can't see it).

Or is this a "feature" of the Oyster zonal system already beyond
breaking point, and all it can do is charge about half what the fare
might otherwise realistically be (ie £5.40 Brentwood-Stratford plus
£5.40 Stratford-Broxbourne)???

The National Rail paper ticket is a whopping £17.50 Anytime single.
Old August 4th 14, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:40:06 on
Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
OK, that's given me a bit more information:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...al-rail-adult-
fares-jan-2014.pdf

Where do I find the [NR] Oyster fare from (say) Brentwood to Broxbourne?

Single fare finder

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-pay...ail+Station&To
Id=910GBROXBRN&PassengerType=Adult

Yes, but what I really want is a table showing all the point-to-point
fares, because only then can one get a proper view of the size of the
fares matrix which Oyster-outside-the-zones is trying implement.