Old February 8th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Station Close, Finchley Central

Paul wrote:
Peter Lawrence wrote:

snip
AS a tube station it has always been Finchley

I think he means Finchley Central
but ion steam days it
was Finchley and Hendon and then Finchley Church End.

I may be wrong but I thought I'd seen an old tube map with "Church
End" on. Any links to old maps?

http://clives.members.easyspace.com/tube/tube.html
http://www.sitehouse.net/cdl/maps.html

Between them, these two sites provide maps for every year in the relevant
period.
The station was included on the tube maps as part of the planned extensions
of the Northern Line, named as follows:

1937: Finchley Central [geographic map]
1938: Finchley (Church End)
1939: Finchley (Church End)

From 1940, it is shown as a Northern Line station, and is always Finchley
Central, as far as I can see.

Incidentally, at http://www.paddingtonticketauctions....main26cat.html,
item 15 is a 1927 tube/tram/bus ticket that refers to the station as
"Church End Station (Finchley)".

--
Richard J.

Incidentally, at http://www.paddingtonticketauctions....ain26cati1.jpg,
there's a 1927 tram ticket that refers to the station as "Church End
Station (Finchley)".

Old February 9th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Can anyone shed any light then as to how/when/where the disused building at
the top of Nether Street fits into all this? And why is that building so
much higher than the present line?

You can see it behind Lorenzos on street level, or opposite the Central pub.
Can also see it from the train line if going between Finchley Central and
West Finchley. You'll need to look up from there, however, but it definitely
looks like an old station.

Alan

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:07:59 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,

Has Finchley Central station been relocated from the Station Close area?

Did
the station's name change when it was relocated? TIA.

David Leboff's book confirms my view that is is still the original
Great Northern station. I am not clear whether the relative status of
the entrances was changed at some point however..

AS a tube station it has always been Finchley but ion steam days it