Old February 8th 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster for out-of-Londoners

I normally travel to work in Westminster from Cambridge on one-day
Travelcards or day returns to King's Cross with bike. No interest in
oystercards there obviously.

However, from time to time I stay overnight at my parents' in Putney and
travel on a Network Awaybreak from Cambridge to either King's Cross (with
bike) or Underground Zones 1/2. In the latter case I need to buy single
tube tickets on top (mainly in the morning from Putney when my Network
Card isn't yet valid).

Can I use a fairly small amount of stored value on an oystercard for these
occasional journeys? I've never bought a carnet for Zone 1 trips because
they are only valid for a year and I don't make 10 trips in that time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old February 8th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Kevingr) wrote:

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote in message
I normally travel to work in Westminster from Cambridge on one-day
Travelcards or day returns to King's Cross with bike. No interest in
oystercards there obviously.

However, from time to time I stay overnight at my parents' in Putney
and travel on a Network Awaybreak from Cambridge to either King's
Cross (with bike) or Underground Zones 1/2. In the latter case I need
to buy single tube tickets on top (mainly in the morning from Putney
when my Network Card isn't yet valid).

Can I use a fairly small amount of stored value on an oystercard for
these occasional journeys? I've never bought a carnet for Zone 1
trips because they are only valid for a year and I don't make 10
trips in that time.

Oyster Prepay would appear to meet your requirements. A £3 deposit is
required. It's not yet available for bus or Tramlink. No photocard
necessary if bought at a Tube station. All that info is quoted
direct from the Web site ...

http://www.oystercard.com/

Thanks, that appears to meet my requirements. Is there really no minimum
amount stored if bought at a tube station? Or is that because a tube
station is then the only place where additional credits (below the £10
online minimum) can be made?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 8th 04, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Kevingr) wrote:

[...]

You can't put on less than £5 at a ticket machine (or that might just be
for debit cards, because I never top up with cash). I'm afriad I don't
know about the ticket office, because at Gloucester Road there's always
a huge queue of tourists so I avoid the office when I can.
Old February 8th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Dave Arquati) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Kevingr) wrote:

[...]

Sounds complicated. I'll ask when I'm next at an Underground ticket
office.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old February 8th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You can top up with less than £5. I once topped up with 47p. It was
some spare change that i had left afetr a day out. So I stuck it on my
oystercard.

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...

Old February 8th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard Jeeves) wrote:

You can top up with less than £5. I once topped up with 47p. It was
some spare change that i had left afetr a day out. So I stuck it on my
oystercard.

So just £5 initially then (plus £3 deposit)?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 8th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
You can't put on less than £5 at a ticket machine (or that might just
be for debit cards, because I never top up with cash). I'm afriad I
don't know about the ticket office, because at Gloucester Road there's
always a huge queue of tourists so I avoid the office when I can.

You can top up with a small amount of cash on a Multifare machine
providing it is accepting coins.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 12th 04, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:23:14 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

You can't put on less than £5 at a ticket machine (or that might just be
for debit cards, because I never top up with cash).

[non Oyster top-up text snipped]

You can top up with "any amount" of cash - the machine specifically
says this when one presses the cash button.

I topped up by a mere 30p last night so I could (unofficially) use
Pre-Pay on a bus.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old February 12th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In news Jason typed:

I topped up by a mere 30p last night so I could (unofficially) use
Pre-Pay on a bus.

u - n - o - f - f - i - c - i - a - l - l - y

That's an odd way to spell fraudulently!
:-o

Bob