Old October 29th 14, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail 2 latest

On 29/10/2014 16:06, Robin9 wrote:

'eastender[_4_ Wrote:
;145332']New site?

http://crossrail2.co.uk

Latest consulation report published here - can'ts e it adds anything
much.

(Tapped out on an ipad per chance?!)

It certainly doesn't add to the Hackney/Tottenham Hale route the
possibility of a connection with London Overground at South Tottenham.
Why not? Hasn't TfL heard of London Overground? Is not the single
biggest weakness of London Overground the fact that it doesn't connect
London Overground often with other rail routes?

Is it? Or is the single biggest weakness of LO that it's very convenient
for lots of people, and so perhaps liable to becoming a victim of its
own success...

(p.s. The above aside is not my considered verdict on the Crossrail 2
proposals, BTW!)

Old October 30th 14, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:06:48 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

'eastender[_4_ Wrote:
;145332']New site?

http://crossrail2.co.uk

Latest consulation report published here - can'ts e it adds anything
much.

E.

It certainly doesn't add to the Hackney/Tottenham Hale route the
possibility of
a connection with London Overground at South Tottenham. Why not? Hasn't

TfL heard of London Overground? Is not the single biggest weakness of
London
Overground the fact that it doesn't connect very often with other rail
routes?

I think you're getting "hot under the collar" for no good reason.
While the precise station locations / designs are not yet fixed I have
certainly read that a connection to South Tottenham is certainly being
considered by TfL. Pretty sure this was in some of the early
documentation. This is on the basis that CR2 stations will be very
long and therefore required to be double ended. It is therefore
entirely plausible that one end of the station will link to the Seven
Sisters NR / LU station and the southern end can connect with South
Tottenham station.

TfL will certainly try, where it is feasible, to provide sensible
connections with other rail services when they build CR2. The main
problem is that the sheer scale of the stations makes them
ridiculously expensive which is why we have the palpable nonsense of
no intermediate stop between Dalston and Seven Sisters. Fast it may
be but convenient for local people certainly not. Ditto the lack of an
intermediate stop on Essex Road - "no demand" allegedly. Utter
nonsense. Have they no idea how busy the buses are along there?

The entire scheme is a mess dreamed up by a mix of business people and
politicians and then somehow forced into something that is sort of
justified in transport terms. It's completely the wrong answer to
adding capacity in North London and somehow relieving pressure on the
SW main line into Waterloo.

--
Paul C

What is the answer?

Old October 30th 14, 03:19 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post

'eastender[_4_ Wrote:
;145332']New site?

http://crossrail2.co.uk

Latest consulation report published here - can'ts e it adds anything
much.

(Tapped out on an ipad per chance?!)

It certainly doesn't add to the Hackney/Tottenham Hale route the
possibility of a connection with London Overground at South Tottenham.
Why not? Hasn't TfL heard of London Overground? Is not the single
biggest weakness of London Overground the fact that it doesn't connect
London Overground often with other rail routes?

Is it? Or is the single biggest weakness of LO that it's very convenient
for lots of people, and so perhaps liable to becoming a victim of its
own success...

(p.s. The above aside is not my considered verdict on the Crossrail 2
proposals, BTW!)
Lengthening platforms to overcome the problems arising from LO being
popular will be a lot cheaper and a lot less work than constructing new
connections with other rail routes. The only practicable way of establishing
new connections will be by incorporating them into any new rail routes.
Old October 30th 14, 03:27 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield[_2_] View Post
wrote:

'eastender[_4_ Wrote:
[...]

While I freely admit that my dislike of TfL is such that I get hot under the
collar quickly, I reject the idea that my point was intemperate or premature.

This thread is about the latest information put out about Crossrail 2, and
there is nothing in that information about a connection at South Tottenham.

You may be surprised to hear that I agree with your assessment of this
scheme and the forces behind it.