London Banter

-   -   Transport sights for a London day trip (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14092-transport-sights-london-day-trip.html)

Mizter T November 2nd 14 11:56 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On 03/11/2014 00:00, wrote:
[...]
Maybe looking a bit to the future, visit the Battersea Power station site,
soon to include the Northern Line extension? Or at least take a ride out
of Victoria, keeping an eye on it. The walk from Vauxhall is quite
interesting, watching the properties that will pay for the extension
shooting up.

Is there anything much to see there? I used to cycle along Battersea Park
Road between Wandsworth and Vauxhall and it was mostly hoardings on derelict
sites.

Like Recliner says, things those parts have changed - or, more
accurately, are changing.

Mizter T November 3rd 14 12:00 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On 03/11/2014 00:38, wrote:
[...]
And thinking of Battersea, there's the heliport (though that's
significantly further west).

That's fairly hidden away nowadays, isn't it? Gone are the signs on York Rd
IIRC.

Chauffeurs use satnavs these days.

Recliner[_3_] November 3rd 14 12:10 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

wrote:
In article

, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,

(Basil Jet) wrote:

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was
when they had to stop.

You might wait a very long time to see a pan going up or down at
Farringdon. The changeover now happens at City Thameslink.

When did that change? I thought I'd seen pan raising there since the
platform extensions. Last time I remember was the last day of the A stock,
September 2013?

I think it was around six months ago.

But Farringdon remains an interesting station in transition (remember,
in 1863 it was the City terminus of the world's first underground
railway, and will soon be one of the world's busiest underground and
interchange stations).

It doesn't have much to chow of that history these days IME.

The old Met station exterior has been restored to some extent. It's
certainly a historic site, that's attempting to span the 19th, 20th and
21st centuries. In a few years, it'll be the key interchange between
Heathrow, Gatwick and Luton airports, using lines that obviously didn't
exist in 1863, as well as Padd, St P, Kings X, Liverpool St, and other
mainline stations.

D A Stocks[_2_] November 3rd 14 03:38 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

wrote in message

The Thameslink route from St P (take a look at the new tunnels to the GN
from the platform) to Blackfriars (new southern entrance) or London
Bridge
is interesting.

Definitely not much to see there. I've done it.

When? There is a huge amount going on at London Bridge. The next few weeks
are the last chance to travel through Borough Market junction and the
high-level station before it all changes beyond recognition. You might also
get to see some work on the Bermondsey dive-under on your way to/from
Crystal Palace.

--
DAS

Basil Jet[_4_] November 3rd 14 06:31 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

The Strand Underpass is of note, being converted from a former tram
subway and being tiny compared to pretty much any other road tunnel you
will ever go through. I don't know if buses still go through it in the
rush hour. Occasionally the northern end of the tram subway is open for
art events, allowing pedestrian access to the former platforms with old
roundels, but I doubt if the day of your trip will be such a day. The
tram tracks leading down from the Theobalds Road junction are of minor
interest. I believe that the small square archway in Holloway Road
almost opposite Witley Road is the only other place that you can still
see abandoned tram tracks, see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw...57626135089492

Roland Perry November 3rd 14 07:48 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In message , at 18:38:27
on Sun, 2 Nov 2014, remarked:

The silver tubes which stop big trains going into small tunnels at
Barons Court, Finchley Road.

Could be hard to see from a moving train.

Best from a District Line train. Suggest going west as that gives you
notice because you can start looking from where the Piccadilly emerges
from the tunnel.

The Eurostar station at St Pancras and the former one at Waterloo.

Difficult to see much when not travelling which I suspect quite a few on the
trip might have done.

Huh? the only bit at St Pancras you can't see is the departure lounge
(which is pretty mundane). I was at Waterloo a couple of months ago and
there's work going on at the old station which is visible from the
mezzanine floor.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 3rd 14 08:28 AM

On 2014\11\03 08:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:38:27
on Sun, 2 Nov 2014, remarked:

The silver tubes which stop big trains going into small tunnels at
Barons Court, Finchley Road.

Could be hard to see from a moving train.

Best from a District Line train. Suggest going west as that gives you
notice because you can start looking from where the Piccadilly emerges
from the tunnel.

IIRC the silver tube is visible from the platform at Finchley Road.

Mizter T November 3rd 14 09:46 AM

On 03/11/2014 07:31, Basil Jet wrote:

The Strand Underpass is of note, being converted from a former tram
subway and being tiny compared to pretty much any other road tunnel you
will ever go through. I don't know if buses still go through it in the
rush hour. Occasionally the northern end of the tram subway is open for
art events, allowing pedestrian access to the former platforms with old
roundels, but I doubt if the day of your trip will be such a day. The
tram tracks leading down from the Theobalds Road junction are of minor
interest. I believe that the small square archway in Holloway Road
almost opposite Witley Road is the only other place that you can still
see abandoned tram tracks, see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw...57626135089492

Route 521 (nee Red Arrow) buses go through the Strand Underpass all day
long (weekdays only), not just at rush hour. There's no service on this
route at weekends & bank holidays. In particular when it was still a
bendy bus, it had a bit of a roller coaster feel to it (cheap thrills!).

Abandoned tram tracks live on in the Brixton Hill tram depot, used these
days as an outstation (if that's the right term?) for Brixton bus garage
just up the road:
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/brixton-hill-tram-depot.html

Also a tiny bit of old tram tracks in Ilford was exposed and 'put on
display' as part of streetscape redevelopments:
https://www.facebook.com/IlfordInPictures/posts/633198370074697

[email protected] November 3rd 14 10:02 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article , (D A Stocks)
wrote:

wrote in message

The Thameslink route from St P (take a look at the new tunnels to the
GN from the platform) to Blackfriars (new southern entrance) or London
Bridge is interesting.

Definitely not much to see there. I've done it.

When?

I meant the Canal Tunnel junctions at the north end of St Pancras.

There is a huge amount going on at London Bridge. The next few
weeks are the last chance to travel through Borough Market junction
and the high-level station before it all changes beyond recognition.
You might also get to see some work on the Bermondsey dive-under on
your way to/from Crystal Palace.

I agree we should pass by London Bridge before the works start if we can.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 3rd 14 10:02 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

The Strand Underpass is of note, being converted from a former tram
subway and being tiny compared to pretty much any other road tunnel
you will ever go through. I don't know if buses still go through it
in the rush hour. Occasionally the northern end of the tram subway is
open for art events, allowing pedestrian access to the former
platforms with old roundels, but I doubt if the day of your trip will
be such a day. The tram tracks leading down from the Theobalds Road
junction are of minor interest. I believe that the small square
archway in Holloway Road almost opposite Witley Road is the only
other place that you can still see abandoned tram tracks, see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw...set-7215762613
5089492

I agree a look at the tram subway ramp would be good. People won't have seen
conduit tram tracks before.

The Holloway Road photo is interesting but of limited interest as we have
bits of horse tramway still extant in Cambridge, including in the yard of
the Tram Depot pub. Those are fake even though in a genuine location but
genuine tracks still lie below the road surface outside the Senate House and
are exposed by road works from time to time before being covered over again.

--
Colin Rosenstiel