Old February 11th 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

In message , CJC
writes
In certain conurbations the
road system has been designed for the car and it is easier than using
public transport to get around these places, Birmingham springs to
mind.

Not especially. Well no more or less than any other big city, anyway.
I almost always use public transport for radial journeys into
Birmingham, where it is (from my suburb) very good.

Oddly enough, I have to take the Car into Birmingham this evening as I
have a load of equipment to carry. I can't remember when I last did
that.

For cross suburban journeys, the car *is* frequently better but again
this is little different from other cities; I don't regard Birmingham's
road network as being any more or less car orientated than other
provincial British cities.

Then - and this is something I seldom see quoted - there are the
inherent advantages of public transport over the car. You are relieved
of the effort of driving, can sit down and read or just watch the
continuous passing scene [1] and not have to worry about merging
traffic, awkward turns or even keeping awake.

Sometime the car is best, sometimes public transport is best. There's
no "Big Answer", whatever your client would like you to say! :-)

[1] Okay not on the tube in rush hour or on underground sections!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Old February 11th 04, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes
Can you please explain how I can travel on public transport with 150kg of
demo kit in 6 flight cases along with associated literature, cable sets etc.

You can't. Therefore, the more people who can use the tube who do do
so, the easier the car journey is for people like you who, on that
occasion, can't.
Old February 11th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Crawley

A "guided bus" system called Fastway is currently under construction. It
has been causing chaos for about two years already and is far from finished,
and is costing a fortune.

The route is already running, and is (and will be) serving only a small part
of the town. The rest of the bus system is in decay - old uncomfotable
buses. As a result of the introduction, other services in the area are
being curtailed, meaning that busy routes which were direct now have to been
done with changing.

Not a great incentive to use public transport.

The money would have been far better spent providing a modern, efficient
system for the whole town.

Old February 11th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote in message ...
In article , Cast_Iron
writes
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Matt
Ashby writes

3 million people use the Tube every day (plus 155,000 on
the DLR). 5.4 million people a day use the buses. If you find
anyone who uses a car despite having access to public
transport, you've found a) someone in the minority and b)
someone who likes sitting in traffic jams behind delivery
trucks and transit vans.

WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

So Matt

Can you please explain how I can travel on public transport with 150kg
of demo kit in 6 flight cases along with associated literature, cable
sets etc.

When I can use the tube I do, but with all that lot it's just not
possible.

Did anyone suggest you should carry that lot on the underground?

The suggestion was anti car, I can't do my job without my car (or a
small van etc).

It seems ironic that when you ask people why they still use their car
when they have alternative means (in general not on this newsgroup) a
majority of them tell you how much they hate using their car, how much
they depise drivers, how much they hate to think of the damage their
cars are going to cause in the future for their children yet they
still sit in traffic jams and drive everywhere.
And the minorirty of people who enjoy driving and choose to drive
everywhere tend to come up with great ideas like keeping to the speed
limit in order to beat those moneygrabbing people who install speed
cameras
At the end of the day. Its a choice between travelling in
air-condtioned luxury. Listening to music or the radio (and your
choice of music not whatever you can hear in the walkman of the person
next to you). In an enclosed personal enviroment that is as clean as
you wish it to be. In your own company or company of people you know.
Old February 11th 04, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message

At the end of the day. Its a choice between travelling in
air-condtioned luxury. Listening to music or the radio (and your
choice of music not whatever you can hear in the walkman of the person
next to you). In an enclosed personal enviroment that is as clean as
you wish it to be. In your own company or company of people you know.

More easily described a social inadequates.

Old February 11th 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...
For a long story not worth going into I am currently trying to prove
for a client the benefits of using a private car/taxi over public
transport. I am intrested in anyone who lives in London (or any other
major city/Town in the UK or rest of the world) who has access to good
public transport such as buses, trams, trains, underground, other LTR
but still drives to their place of work. Any views, opionions outright
rants agasint public transport inculding the obvious overcrowding,
dirty trains, expense would be appericated.

If you really want that, why did you post here, as opposed to uk.transport ?
To say they prefer cars there is like saying that the desert is a bit dry

RMS

Old February 11th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matt Ashby
writes
WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

Because you regularly need to get home after the last train? (And that's
just *one* example).
Old February 11th 04, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:06:34 +0000 (UTC), "Cast_Iron"
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , Matt
Ashby writes
WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

Because you regularly need to get home after the last train? (And
that's just *one* example).

Out of all the people who travel into, out of, within or through central
London what percentage need to travel after the last train has left?

Besides the revellers, quite a small army of Maintainance and service
ppl, from Cleaners, security, to Engineers.

Keith J Chesworth
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk

Old February 12th 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Cast_Iron
writes
Out of all the people who travel into, out of, within or through central
London what percentage need to travel after the last train has left?

Quite a lot of those out and about in cars at that hour.

My last train home from Paddington used to be at about 8.30pm, so I'm
especially sensitive about the issue. Having said that, Kings Cross is
pretty hostile between then and midnight - even if there are still a few
trains running.