Old January 14th 15, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Electronic only cards & contactless travel

The FAQ below has an aura of Solo/Electron about it.

Does anyone here have experience of using the Orange Prepay Card (with
contactless technology) on TfL?

http://cash.orange.co.uk/faq/#q3

What does "for electronic use only" mean?

You’ll notice that your card has "for electronic use only" written on
the top right hand corner. This doesn’t affect using the card online,
over the phone or at an ATM.It simply means that you can only use it
wherever Magnetic Stripe cards are accepted and in the normal Chip &
PIN terminals in the UK and around the world.

The card can’t be used in the older manual sliding type of card
machines, as it doesn’t feature raised numbers. Similarly, you might
not be able to use your card on a plane or train as there may not be
an electronic connection available.

Old January 14th 15, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
The FAQ below has an aura of Solo/Electron about it.

Does anyone here have experience of using the Orange Prepay Card (with
contactless technology) on TfL?

Look on the front of the card. If it has the contactless indicator
(http://www.emvco.com/best_practices.aspx?id=117) it should work. If not it
will definitely not work.

Old January 14th 15, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:42:02 on Wed, 14 Jan
2015, MikeS remarked:
The FAQ below has an aura of Solo/Electron about it.

Does anyone here have experience of using the Orange Prepay Card (with
contactless technology) on TfL?

Look on the front of the card. If it has the contactless indicator
(http://www.emvco.com/best_practices.aspx?id=117) it should work. If not it
will definitely not work.

It's got the symbol, but TfL have been a bit equivocal in the past about
exactly which cards will work (eg foreign and prepaid ones).

For example, currently they say:

"Most contactless payment cards issued outside the UK can be used to buy
tickets or top up an Oyster card at touchscreen ticket machines at Tube,
DLR and London Overground stations, at ticket offices, and Travel
Information Centres, even if they can't be used for contactless travel."

So there's a set of "all minus most" which won't work even at ticket
machines, and a vague subset of those which won't work a barrier "even
if".

and:

"The majority of cards that aren't accepted are issued in the USA,
Canada and the Netherlands. There are also a few other cards that may
not be accepted. If your card is rejected on our services, please
contact your card issuer."

And the coup-de-grace:

"If you have a prepaid card (issued in the UK or outside the UK), it may
be accepted for travel on our services."

"May" !!! And no clue as to how to tell in advance.

Hence my question.
Old January 15th 15, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:17:00 on
Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:
The FAQ below has an aura of Solo/Electron about it.

Does anyone here have experience of using the Orange Prepay Card (with
contactless technology) on TfL?

http://cash.orange.co.uk/faq/#q3

What does "for electronic use only" mean?

You’ll notice that your card has "for electronic use only" written on
the top right hand corner. This doesn’t affect using the card online,
over the phone or at an ATM.It simply means that you can only use it
wherever Magnetic Stripe cards are accepted and in the normal Chip &
PIN terminals in the UK and around the world.

The card can’t be used in the older manual sliding type of card
machines, as it doesn’t feature raised numbers. Similarly, you might
not be able to use your card on a plane or train as there may not be
an electronic connection available.

I have tweeted TfLWaystoPay to ask if it is accepted on the TfL
network. I'll let you know the answer when I get one.

The reply was "Hi, please call us on 0343 222 1234 8am - 8pm for an
agent to furthur assist you with your query." :-(

Needless to say I haven't phoned.

I phoned Orange-Cash at 8.05am this morning (their customer services is
supposed to open at 8am). I got their lost/stolen card people, despite
pressing the right buttons for customer services. They took my details
and promised to pass it on to customer services to call me back. They
haven't. I've also sent them an "email" - in fact a web form - and they
replied to that this afternoon saying:

"We can confirm the Orange Cash Card can be used with the TFL network."

As I specifically mentioned tube barriers in my question, I'm slightly
more confident that they don't actually mean "it works at TVMs within
the TfL network".
Old February 20th 15, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
I phoned Orange-Cash at 8.05am this morning (their customer services is
supposed to open at 8am). I got their lost/stolen card people, despite
pressing the right buttons for customer services. They took my details
and promised to pass it on to customer services to call me back. They
haven't. I've also sent them an "email" - in fact a web form - and they
replied to that this afternoon saying:

"We can confirm the Orange Cash Card can be used with the TFL network."

Lent the card to someone yesterday to test it out. The card does work on
the gates, but is reported as noticeably slower-acting than an Oyster.

Of special note in the rush hour with impatient commuters behind you,
apparently.

Old February 20th 15, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-02-20 09:36:06 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Lent the card to someone yesterday to test it out. The card does work
on the gates, but is reported as noticeably slower-acting than an
Oyster.

All contactless cards are slightly (but noticeably) slower-acting than
an Oyster.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old February 20th 15, 03:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Neil Williams
writes
Lent the card to someone yesterday to test it out. The card does work
on the gates, but is reported as noticeably slower-acting than an
Oyster.

All contactless cards are slightly (but noticeably) slower-acting than
an Oyster.

I would have expected it to be all of them, but am slightly surprised
how rarely it's mentioned. And I forgot to mention it when handing over
the card.