Old November 10th 14, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mastercard's "Fare Free Friday" for contactless travel - 14 & 28Nov

http://www.cityam.com/1415624433/mastercard-fare-free-friday-free-travel-londoners-14-and-28-november-using-contactless

Friday 14 and Friday 28 November, part of Mastercard's ongoing
"Priceless London" promotional exercise.

Those looking to exploit this to the full should note that contactless
cards don't work 'Oyster-style' (tap-in etc) on the cable car or on
river buses, nor does it work on the 15H Heritage Routemaster buses.

But Watford Junction, Broxbourne, Shenfield and Grays - as stations
outside the zones but in what was once given the unofficial moniker
'Oyster-land' (now 'Oyster & contactless land'?) - are some of the
exotic destinations one can reach gratis courtesy of the card with the
Venn diagram.

Alas, I'm 'with' Visa (which payment network a debit or credit card is
with is not something that exercises me a great deal!)

Old November 10th 14, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/11/2014 19:35, Mizter T wrote:

http://www.cityam.com/1415624433/mastercard-fare-free-friday-free-travel-londoners-14-and-28-november-using-contactless

Friday 14 and Friday 28 November, part of Mastercard's ongoing
"Priceless London" promotional exercise.

Those looking to exploit this to the full should note that contactless
cards don't work 'Oyster-style' (tap-in etc) on the cable car or on
river buses, nor does it work on the 15H Heritage Routemaster buses.

But Watford Junction, Broxbourne, Shenfield and Grays - as stations
outside the zones but in what was once given the unofficial moniker
'Oyster-land' (now 'Oyster & contactless land'?) - are some of the
exotic destinations one can reach gratis courtesy of the card with the
Venn diagram.

Argh - actually I'm wrong about that (at least w.r.t. Broxbourne and
Shenfield).

There's more on this offer he
http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/mastercard-offers-free-contactless-travel-in-london-on-november-14-and-28-1272417

"Daily spends will be capped at £21.80 (the price of a full day of
unlimited travel on TfL services), and this will be automatically
refunded to your account."

(Don't take the reference to "TfL services" literally - it includes NR
services in London too.)

However, the £21.80 figure mentioned above doesn't cover the daily peak
cap of £23.80 from/to Broxbourne, £23.80 from/to Brentwood, or £27.30
from/to Shenfield.

Those daily peak caps can be found in these fares tables (from page 4
onwards):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/national-rail-adult-fares.pdf

The peak daily caps from Watford Junction (£21.80), Theobalds Grove and
Waltham Cross (£19.60), Cheshunt (£19.60), and Ockendon, Chafford
Hundred, Purfleet and Grays (all £21.80) - so these would all appear to
be valid for this Mastercard offer.
Old November 10th 14, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
[...]

Before anyone gets carried away with the idea of totally free unlimited
travel for the day it may be as well to read the full T&Cs. I found them
here
(http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&goto=newpost\
) and noticed two in particular worth reading:

5. The offer entitles MasterCard Contactless card and device holders to
receive a refund against their travel costs, made with a MasterCard
Contactless card or device, on the London Underground, London Buses, London
Overground, Docklands Light Railway, participating National Rail services in
London and the Tramlink during the Promotional Period, to a maximum value of
£9.80. The offer is as stated and nothing else is included.

6. The refund will take up to 28 working days from the end of the
Promotional Period to appear in the MasterCard Contactless card and device
holder's account.

Old November 10th 14, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:58:46 on Mon, 10 Nov
2014, MikeS remarked:

a refund

to a maximum value of £9.80.

So that's roughly zone 2 peak, zone 6 off-peak. Or one or two zones if
you avoid the central area.

Did the newspaper jump the gun with the £21.80 figure?
Old November 10th 14, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/11/2014 20:07, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 19:58:46 on Mon, 10 Nov
2014, MikeS remarked:

a refund

to a maximum value of £9.80.

So that's roughly zone 2 peak, zone 6 off-peak. Or one or two zones if
you avoid the central area.

Did the newspaper jump the gun with the £21.80 figure?

It was a tech news website, TechRadar, that produced the £21.80 figure.
It looks like they might well have just picked the highest daily cap
they found (£21.80 being the highest cap for TfL tariff services, e.g.
the 'Tube' rate).

I did look on the Mastercard Priceless website for further info before
posting but alas I couldn't anything - I should have looked around
elsewhere a bit more first.

Old November 10th 14, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/11/2014 20:07, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 19:58:46 on Mon, 10 Nov
2014, MikeS remarked:

a refund

to a maximum value of £9.80.

So that's roughly zone 2 peak, zone 6 off-peak. Or one or two zones if
you avoid the central area.

The first sentence I understand - you're alluding to the peak zones 1&2
cap, and the off-peak zones 1-6 cap.

But the second sentence I can't decipher - these days there are no daily
caps that exclude zone 1 (used to be, and sadly missed, but that's
another story).
Old November 10th 14, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

http://www.cityam.com/1415624433/mas...ree-travel-lon
doners-14-and-28-november-using-contactless

Friday 14 and Friday 28 November, part of Mastercard's ongoing
"Priceless London" promotional exercise.

Those looking to exploit this to the full should note that
contactless cards don't work 'Oyster-style' (tap-in etc) on the cable
car or on river buses, nor does it work on the 15H Heritage
Routemaster buses.

But Watford Junction, Broxbourne, Shenfield and Grays - as stations
outside the zones but in what was once given the unofficial moniker
'Oyster-land' (now 'Oyster & contactless land'?) - are some of the
exotic destinations one can reach gratis courtesy of the card with
the Venn diagram.

Alas, I'm 'with' Visa (which payment network a debit or credit card
is with is not something that exercises me a great deal!)

Oh, woe is me too! I have an HSBC credit which used to be Mastercard but
they switched me to Visa. Bother!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 10th 14, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/11/2014 19:58, MikeS wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike - not quite as it first seemed (of course).

£9.80 will cover a lot of people, but certainly far from everyone (e.g.
a zones 1-6 NR-only journey is £5.90 peak, £3.60 off-peak - an NR+Tube
'through fare' is more, at £7.50 peak, £5.10 off-peak).
Old November 10th 14, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/11/2014 21:07, wrote:

In article ,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

Worth looking at MikeS's post in this thread - there's a maximum £9.80
refund on offer, so it's a "Fare Free Friday" only up to a certain point
(or rather fare).

Visa Europe seems to have offered a pretty unbeatable deal to banks for
debit cards, as those that offered Maestro (nee Switch) mostly defected
to Visa a few years back - perhaps your credit card change was a result
of the same effect.
Old November 10th 14, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mastercard's "Fare Free Friday" for contactless travel - 14 &

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 10/11/2014 21:07,
wrote:

In article ,

[...]