Old February 9th 15, 12:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.railway

Default Underline?

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:38:38 -0800, Nobody wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 22:37:19 +0000, "
wrote:

This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ndon-underline

I know that Seattle converted at least one tunnel, which was originally
to be for a light rail line, into a dedicated bus lane.

Well no, it was sort of the reverse of that: it was built originally
as a bus tunnel, but with tracks installed for future light-rail
usage. But when the 'lectric trains came into view, things weren't
going to work so it had to be modified

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Seattle_Transit_Tunnel

OT, but more sleepless nights in Seattle:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/seattles-costly-plan-to-replace-viaduct-becomes-an-infrastructure-nightmare/article22851505/
Old February 9th 15, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:15:42 on Sun, 8 Feb
2015, D A Stocks remarked:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...
In message , at
19:55:19 on Sat, 7 Feb 2015, remarked:
Aldwych is near enough to Covent Garden to be redundant.

The nearest station to Aldwych is Temple.

But Temple doesn't substitute for Aldwych as far as passengers using
the Piccadilly Line are concerned.

However, there will be a fair number of passengers for whom using
Temple and avoiding the central section of the Picadilly Line
altogether is definitely an option; e.g. Thameslink commuters can
change at Blackfriars rather than St Pancras and from 2018 their
Great Northern brethren will be able to join them.

Quicker to take the Piccadilly to Holborn and walk.

Similarly from West London it's an easy change onto the District line
and probably just as fast.

They wouldn't have doubled-back at Holborn anyway. Covent Garden and walk.

Actually, if I'm going to Somerset House, I'm more likely to use Temple
than Covent Garden. That's partly to avoid the hordes of tourists in Covent
Garden, and partly because it's a simpler route. I'm not sure which is
technically shorter, but there's not much in it. Even if Aldwych was still
open, walking from Temple or Covent Garden would be much quicker because of
the sparse shuttle service.
Old February 9th 15, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 19:45:21 -0000
"michael adams" wrote:
So which word or words in the 12 word sentence from your own link

" These plans were shelved at the outset of the Second World War,"

are you having the biggest difficulty with ?

Eh?

So there were plans before the war.

Err, yeess.

slowly
Which means that they weren't first envisaged as shelters and then to be
converted into a tube tunnel but the other way around. Which is my point.
/slowly

Perhaps you should learn to follow a thread?

--
Spud

Old February 9th 15, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 19:45:21 -0000
"michael adams" wrote:
So which word or words in the 12 word sentence from your own link

" These plans were shelved at the outset of the Second World War,"

are you having the biggest difficulty with ?

Eh?

So there were plans before the war.

Err, yeess.

But then what happened ? Can you remember ? Or do you need a clue ?

Hint:
" These plans were shelved at the outset of the Second World War,"

http://underground-history.co.uk/shelters.php

slowly
Which means that they weren't first envisaged as shelters and then to be
converted into a tube tunnel but the other way around.

No. The way they were first envisaged was shelved.

" These plans were shelved at the outset of the Second World War,"

Otherwise there would have been nothing to shelve, would there ?

And then you'd have been correct !

But they were shelved. And so you're wrong.

(See above)

Which is my point.

/slowly

Which is obviouly wrong as those plans were shelved.

Perhaps you should learn to follow a thread?

All I need do is follow your own links -

" These plans were shelved at the outset of the Second World War,"

michael adams