Old February 27th 15, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cycle hire goes red with Santander

Santander Bank is the new sponsor of the TfL cycle hire scheme, in a
deal worth £6.25 million that will run for seven years.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2015/february/mayor-announces-santander-as-new-cycle-hire-sponsor

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/27/london-boris-bikes-painted-red-santander-sponsorship-deal

Some hack obviously ask in 'jest' (in the loosest sense of the word -
unlikely to get a booking at a stand up night) whether the new colour
had any political significance, to which Boris said "of course it has,
I'm now a dyed in the wool communist, and tomorrow I shall rename
Trafalgar Square as Red Square". Except of course he didn't - if he had,
I imagine the new sponsor might not have been particularly amused.

Regarding the schemes eponymous nickname, Bozza said "If anyone still
persists in calling them 'Boris bikes' rather than Santander I will
change my name to Santander Johnson."

I'd imagine that privately, Team Boris is pleased that Boris Bikes and
Boris Buses entered the lexicon. I have to say that I came round to
calling them 'Boris Bikes' in preference to 'Barclays Bikes' ('cycle
hire bikes' being a mouthful), especially given that the Barclays
sponsorship started under that unimpeachable doyenne of modern banking,
Bob Diamond - and said sponsorship was negotiated in a rather unorthodox
manner between Boris and his good mate Bob (which was subsequently
criticised in an Assembly report - I understand TfL now have proper
procedures in place for sponsorship opportunities).

A slight change of name is also on the agenda - from "Barclays Cycle
Hire" to "Santander Cycles", which will rather suggests to those who
don't know better that the scheme is owned, or at least fully financed
by Santander. Whatever, I quite like the idea of the bikes being bright
red. Oh, and Santander beat Coca-Cola, purveyor of services to dentistry
and diabetes, which is good.

I wonder how long the new and old branding will be seen side by side out
on the street - the TfL home page has a splash of Santander red, along
with a link to Barclays Cycle Hire lower down. The new deal starts in April.

Old February 27th 15, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:09:32 on Fri, 27 Feb
2015, Mizter T remarked:
Regarding the schemes eponymous nickname, Bozza said "If anyone still
persists in calling them 'Boris bikes' rather than Santander I will
change my name to Santander Johnson."

I expect the name could be as long lived as :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon

or even:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot

Any older offerings with a vague transport connection?
Old February 27th 15, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27/02/2015 16:28, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:09:32 on Fri, 27 Feb
2015, Mizter T remarked:
Regarding the schemes eponymous nickname, Bozza said "If anyone still
persists in calling them 'Boris bikes' rather than Santander I will
change my name to Santander Johnson."

I expect the name could be as long lived as :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon

or even:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot

Any older offerings with a vague transport connection?

William Baker, of Baker Street - partial (and unwitting) contributor to
the Bakerloo line name. Started laying out the street in 1755:

http://blackcablondon.net/2012/08/08/baker-street-part-one-tubes-beatles-lost-property/

Perhaps fortuitous that the flashing beacons accompanying zebra
crossings took the second part of Leslie's double-barrelled surname,
rather than the first.
Old February 27th 15, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:00:55 on Fri, 27 Feb
2015, Mizter T remarked:
Regarding the schemes eponymous nickname, Bozza said "If anyone still
persists in calling them 'Boris bikes' rather than Santander I will
change my name to Santander Johnson."

I expect the name could be as long lived as :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon

or even:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot

Any older offerings with a vague transport connection?

William Baker, of Baker Street - partial (and unwitting) contributor to
the Bakerloo line name. Started laying out the street in 1755

That beats Lord Liverpool (after whom a Street is named) or William
Praed. But St James's Park dates to 1603, and Leicester Square to 1630.

I'll offer St Pauls's and 604 as the oldest yet. Can anyone beat that?
Old February 27th 15, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\02\27 19:53, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:00:55 on Fri, 27 Feb
2015, Mizter T remarked:
Regarding the schemes eponymous nickname, Bozza said "If anyone still
persists in calling them 'Boris bikes' rather than Santander I will
change my name to Santander Johnson."

I expect the name could be as long lived as :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisha_beacon

or even:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot

Any older offerings with a vague transport connection?

William Baker, of Baker Street - partial (and unwitting) contributor
to the Bakerloo line name. Started laying out the street in 1755

That beats Lord Liverpool (after whom a Street is named) or William
Praed. But St James's Park dates to 1603, and Leicester Square to 1630.

I'll offer St Pauls's and 604 as the oldest yet. Can anyone beat that?

London Wall?
Aldgate?
Aldersgate?
London Bridge?
Tower Hill?
City Thameslink?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Old February 27th 15, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:03:51 on Fri, 27 Feb
2015, Basil Jet remarked:
[...]

Transport things named after a person from long ago.
Old February 27th 15, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\02\27 21:08, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Christ's Hospital
Godalming
Je-Hove-ah
Ashby-de-la-Zeus

Seriously, Aspatria is named after St Patrick.
Old February 28th 15, 01:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Transport things named after a person from long ago.

Mark Lane.

--
Mike D
Old February 28th 15, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:26:25 on
Fri, 27 Feb 2015, remarked:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 20:03:51 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot

Any older offerings with a vague transport connection?

William Baker, of Baker Street - partial (and unwitting) contributor
to the Bakerloo line name. Started laying out the street in 1755

That beats Lord Liverpool (after whom a Street is named) or William
Praed. But St James's Park dates to 1603, and Leicester Square to 1630.

I'll offer St Pauls's and 604 as the oldest yet. Can anyone beat that?

London Wall?
Aldgate?
Aldersgate?
London Bridge?
Tower Hill?
City Thameslink?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

I think Roland means items named after a person( s) .
As he said a vague transport connection I reckon Hadrians wall as
contolling passage between the areas it divided may count and be a
contender .

I think it would count, yes. (AD122)

I suppose somebody will now pop up with a stone tablet on
which it will show that Stonehenge was really a Roundabout.

Old February 28th 15, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:29:04 on Fri, 27 Feb
2015, Basil Jet remarked:

I'll offer St Pauls's and 604 as the oldest yet. Can anyone beat that?

London Wall?
Aldgate?
Aldersgate?
London Bridge?
Tower Hill?
City Thameslink?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Transport things named after a person from long ago.

Christ's Hospital

The station only dates from 1902, and the hospital's not as old as St
Paul's. But if are going to drill back, then St Paul was born in 5AD
(and Hadrian in 76AD)

Godalming
Je-Hove-ah
Ashby-de-la-Zeus

Seriously, Aspatria is named after St Patrick.

He was born in 387. The town is also apparently named after "St
Patrick's Ash Tree".

Cycle Hire south western expansion goes live today Mizter T London Transport 3 December 13th 13 06:04 PM
Cycle hire Basil Jet[_2_] London Transport 107 July 30th 10 05:15 PM
Cycle hire Mizter T London Transport 0 July 19th 10 11:33 PM
TfL cycle hire Basil Jet London Transport 12 August 21st 09 02:04 PM
SWT go into cycle hire business Paul Scott London Transport 10 February 17th 09 02:06 PM