London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 02:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,220
Default Woolwich Ferry question

Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if
they wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising
ferry crossing distance.

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 06:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default Woolwich Ferry question

Basil Jet wrote:
Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if they
wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising ferry crossing distance.


Presumably to be parallel to the flow of the river?
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,220
Default Woolwich Ferry question

On 2015\03\27 07:00, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if they
wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising ferry crossing distance.


Presumably to be parallel to the flow of the river?


Fair enough, although it doesn't explain why they are opposite each
other and facing the same way, when placing the north pier by the
abandoned railway station and bending up-river would give shorter routes
to the south pier.
  #4   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default Woolwich Ferry question

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\03\27 07:00, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if they
wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising ferry crossing distance.


Presumably to be parallel to the flow of the river?


Fair enough, although it doesn't explain why they are opposite each other
and facing the same way, when placing the north pier by the abandoned
railway station and bending up-river would give shorter routes to the south pier.


Presumably they wanted the ferries to dock facing upstream? That way,
they're more controllable. In the same way, river boats normally moor
facing upstream.
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,220
Default Woolwich Ferry question

On 2015\03\27 13:12, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\03\27 07:00, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if they
wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising ferry crossing distance.

Presumably to be parallel to the flow of the river?


Fair enough, although it doesn't explain why they are opposite each other
and facing the same way, when placing the north pier by the abandoned
railway station and bending up-river would give shorter routes to the south pier.


Presumably they wanted the ferries to dock facing upstream?


It's tidal.



  #6   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,518
Default Woolwich Ferry question

In message , at 13:26:14 on Fri, 27 Mar
2015, Basil Jet remarked:
Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if they
wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising ferry crossing distance.

Presumably to be parallel to the flow of the river?

Fair enough, although it doesn't explain why they are opposite each other
and facing the same way, when placing the north pier by the abandoned
railway station and bending up-river would give shorter routes to the south pier.


Presumably they wanted the ferries to dock facing upstream?


It's tidal.


From Teddington to the North Sea.
--
Roland Perry
  #7   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default Woolwich Ferry question

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:26:14 on Fri, 27 Mar 2015,
Basil Jet remarked:
Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if they
wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising ferry
crossing distance.

Presumably to be parallel to the flow of the river?

Fair enough, although it doesn't explain why they are opposite each other
and facing the same way, when placing the north pier by the abandoned
railway station and bending up-river would give shorter routes to the south pier.

Presumably they wanted the ferries to dock facing upstream?


It's tidal.


From Teddington to the North Sea.


And obviously at Woolwich.
  #8   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,990
Default Woolwich Ferry question

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\03\27 13:12, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\03\27 07:00, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
Why do both of the piers bend to face the sea? It almost looks as if they
wanted to maximise pier length while simultaneously maximising ferry crossing distance.

Presumably to be parallel to the flow of the river?

Fair enough, although it doesn't explain why they are opposite each other
and facing the same way, when placing the north pier by the abandoned
railway station and bending up-river would give shorter routes to the south pier.


Presumably they wanted the ferries to dock facing upstream?


It's tidal.


Yes, I know, but on average the water flows downstream, so the ferries will
most often be powering towards the dock, rather than resisting the current.
That makes them more controllable, and less likely to smash into the dock.

Incidentally, I notice that, slightly downstream, there's an old, derelict
pier just opposite the old North Woolwich station -- was this used by the
ferries in the past? Or was it to serve passengers who arrived at the
station?
  #9   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Default Woolwich Ferry question

Recliner wrote:
Incidentally, I notice that, slightly downstream, there's an old, derelict
pier just opposite the old North Woolwich station -- was this used by the
ferries in the past? Or was it to serve passengers who arrived at the
station?


It's marked as 'LNER pier' on this map:
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/north_woolwich/
adjacent to the 'Free Ferry' which goes from what looks to be the current
pier. According to the text, the Great Eastern ran a North to South
Woolwich ferry competing with the free ferry which closed in 1908, but the
pier was then used for river steamers. Looks like the pier has been there
since 1847.

Theo
  #10   Report Post  
Old March 27th 15, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Default Woolwich Ferry question

Theo Markettos wrote:
Looks like the pier has been there since 1847.


Some pictures:
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n...index122.shtml

Theo


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Woolwich Ferry because of fog? [email protected] London Transport 8 April 13th 15 08:52 AM
London Red D/Deckers on the Woolwich Ferry? David C[_2_] London Transport 22 May 13th 14 10:28 PM
Boris approves third Blackwall tunnel and new ferry in Thamesmead Basil Jet[_2_] London Transport 13 January 21st 13 11:29 AM
Woolwich Ferry. [email protected] London Transport 18 April 12th 09 04:46 PM
Woolwich Ferry question Helen Edith Stephenson London Transport 12 July 25th 06 02:19 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017