Old April 18th 15, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Runaway Boris bus video

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nto-a-car.html

Old April 18th 15, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 05:31:38 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nto-a-car.html

How could pulling on the handbreak [sic] flip the bus over? Does a
bus handbrake operate on the front wheels, unlike a car?
Old April 18th 15, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 18 April 2015 06:32:37 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nto-a-car.html

Many years ago my father-in-law experienced a similar problem with his Mercedes 190 estate which roared away and could only be stopped by switching off the ignition. It did this more than once and it was apparently caused by a carburetter malfunction. I suspect the BorisBus doesn't have carburetters but the Mercedes in which Princess Diana was killed probably did.
Old April 18th 15, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
12:33:56 on Sat, 18 Apr 2015, BazzaSoft
remarked:
Many years ago my father-in-law experienced a similar problem with his Mercedes 190 estate which roared away and could only be stopped by
switching off the ignition. It did this more than once and it was apparently caused by a carburetter malfunction. I suspect the BorisBus
doesn't have carburetters but the Mercedes in which Princess Diana was killed probably did.

I very much doubt the Mercedes you mention was anything other than fuel
injection.

30 yrs ago I borrowed a colleague's hot hatch for the weekend (maybe a
VW Golf) and a couple of times it "ran away" because the accelerator
cable got caught on something, probably due to a half-arsed conversion
to RHD.
Old April 18th 15, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

BazzaSoft wrote:
On Saturday, 18 April 2015 06:32:37 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nto-a-car.html

Many years ago my father-in-law experienced a similar problem with his
Mercedes 190 estate which roared away and could only be stopped by
switching off the ignition. It did this more than once and it was
apparently caused by a carburetter malfunction. I suspect the BorisBus
doesn't have carburetters but the Mercedes in which Princess Diana was killed probably did.

A Mercedes S class in 1997 would certainly have had fuel injection, as do
all diesel engines.

Old April 19th 15, 11:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 18 April 2015 20:56:44 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
12:33:56 on Sat, 18 Apr 2015, BazzaSoft
remarked:
Many years ago my father-in-law experienced a similar problem with his Mercedes 190 estate which roared away and could only be stopped by
switching off the ignition. It did this more than once and it was apparently caused by a carburetter malfunction. I suspect the BorisBus
doesn't have carburetters but the Mercedes in which Princess Diana was killed probably did.

I very much doubt the Mercedes you mention was anything other than fuel
injection.

30 yrs ago I borrowed a colleague's hot hatch for the weekend (maybe a
VW Golf) and a couple of times it "ran away" because the accelerator
cable got caught on something, probably due to a half-arsed conversion
to RHD.

I can assure you that my father-in-law's Mercedes 190 definitely did not have fuel-injection and was not a diesel. He was a toolmaker so I think he would know !! The Mercedes inwhich Princess Di was kileed might well have been fuel-injected.