Old April 21st 15, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Liverpool St to Cambridge

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:31:31AM -0700, Offramp wrote:
On Monday, 20 April 2015 15:48:18 UTC+1, David Cantrell wrote:
Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

That is also something that really annoys me. Often 1st class is identical to the rest of the train

That certainly appears to be the case on commuter routes.

except you have to whisper.

That's a feature, not a bug. I don't want to hear the hoi polloi
shouting at each other about idiotic footballers, their plastic wives,
and "reality" TV.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Languages for which ISO-Latin-$n is not necessary, #1 in a series:

Latin

Old April 21st 15, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:04:18 on Tue, 21
Apr 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

Roland
Perry

[...]

bikes

Oh dear

I know. Bikes on trains is one of those hugely unscaleable things about
our transport system.

The Dutch, who can apparently do-no-wrong either with public transport,
or bikes, ban them!!
Old April 21st 15, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:23:31
on Tue, 21 Apr 2015, remarked:

The Dutch, who can apparently do-no-wrong either with public
transport, or bikes, ban them!!

Huh? Lots of their trains have proper bike carrying facilities.

They do? Bikes are banned on the commuter services in and out of
Amsterdam. Being largely double-decker, there's no obvious place for
bikes to go.

Old April 23rd 15, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
03:06:12 on Thu, 23 Apr 2015, remarked:
Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?
If you want better 1st class, travel from Kings X perhaps?

Meh, the extra time spent getting to King's Cross would negate any
benefit I think, given that I'll be starting my journey at work, which
is spitting distance fro Liverpool St.

Unless something has changed recently, the fastest way to get from Liverpool
St to Cambridge is to get the Underground to King's Cross and take the next
non-stop train.

It depends what time-in-the-hour you are starting from Liverpool St. If
you've just missed a train from LST then head for Kings Cross, but there
comes a point when doing that means you'll miss the next fast from KGX
which will add half an hour to your journey time. In those circumstances
stay at LST and get the next train from there.

However, the tipping points are sensitive to how long you think the
transfer is going to take. The longer you have to wait for a tube
train, and the longer you allow to get from the St Pancras tube station
to the GN train, the less useful it is to attempt the transfer.

Trains times also differ somewhat in the peaks, so for example 17:25 is
probably the latest you could leave LST on the tube to catch the 17:44
train at Kings Cross. Both the 17:37 and 17:43 from LST will get you to
Cambridge before the 18:14 from KGX.

But from 17:43 to 17:55 (approx) it's better to head for KGX hoping to
catch the 18:14, rather than wait at LST for the 18:07 from there.

Weekends, when the OP is apparently travelling (or is it Friday
evening), I'll leave as an exercise for the reader
Old April 24th 15, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-04-21 11:18:39 +0000, Roland Perry said:

The Dutch, who can apparently do-no-wrong either with public transport,
or bikes, ban them!!

Eh? Off-peak, cycles are allowed on NS. But at a fairly hefty flat
fee, which serves as a discouragement for shorter journeys.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old April 24th 15, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-04-21 20:05:12 +0000, Roland Perry said:

They do? Bikes are banned on the commuter services in and out of
Amsterdam. Being largely double-decker, there's no obvious place for
bikes to go.

No, they aren't banned other than in the peaks. They just go in the vestibule.

Neil
--
Neil Williams