Old April 20th 15, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Liverpool St to Cambridge

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Only some sort of ghastly dehumanised moron would want to get
rid of Routemasters
-- Ken Livingstone, four years before he got rid of 'em

Old April 20th 15, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:48:15
on Mon, 20 Apr 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use?

Mainly Electrostars. There's the odd 317 mixed in though (during the
week, not sure about weekends).

What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Just like Southern.
Old April 20th 15, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:48:15 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

If you want better 1st class, travel from Kings X perhaps?

---

Old April 20th 15, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, 20 April 2015 15:48:18 UTC+1, David Cantrell wrote:
Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Only some sort of ghastly dehumanised moron would want to get
rid of Routemasters
-- Ken Livingstone, four years before he got rid of 'em

That is also something that really annoys me. Often 1st class is identical to the rest of the train except you have to whisper.
Old April 20th 15, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
15:48:15 on Mon, 20 Apr 2015, David Cantrell
remarked:

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use?

Mainly Electrostars. There's the odd 317 mixed in though (during the
week, not sure about weekends).

Unfortunately not that mainly. It's about half and half, rather depending on
the time of day. The 317s are a rather careworn mix of the /6s which were
quite nicely refurbished for the time by WAGN with 2+2 seating, the
ex-Stansted Express /8s and the /1s whose only redeeming feature is the old
van space at one end which accommodates bikes properly unlike the rest.

GA published a pocket timetable which highlighted the 379 (Electrostar)
workings a few years ago, though only on weekdays. Although they haven't
done so since, the working timetables are still the same. If you look on
Real Train Times you can also work out which are 379s. The 317s are
indicated as such, the 379s just as EMUs. There I see 379 workings on a
Saturday from the start of service up to the 1128, then the 1228, 1328 and
1428, 1458, 1558, 1658. I've not checked later.

What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Just like Southern.

I think the 379s' first class is rather nice and better than the 317s. There
was a time in 2012 when First Class Day Returns from Cambridge to Liverpool
St were cheaper than Standard Day Returns to King's Cross so I treated
myself when dealing with my mother's estate.

One advantage of the 379s is the free wifi.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old April 21st 15, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-04-20 17:59:56 +0000, said:

Roland
Perry

[...]