London Banter

-   -   Liverpool St to Cambridge (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14295-liverpool-st-cambridge.html)

David Cantrell April 20th 15 02:48 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Only some sort of ghastly dehumanised moron would want to get
rid of Routemasters
-- Ken Livingstone, four years before he got rid of 'em

Roland Perry April 20th 15 03:38 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

In message , at 15:48:15
on Mon, 20 Apr 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use?

Mainly Electrostars. There's the odd 317 mixed in though (during the
week, not sure about weekends).

What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Just like Southern.

[email protected] April 20th 15 05:12 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:48:15 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

If you want better 1st class, travel from Kings X perhaps?

---

Offramp April 20th 15 05:31 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

On Monday, 20 April 2015 15:48:18 UTC+1, David Cantrell wrote:
Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Only some sort of ghastly dehumanised moron would want to get
rid of Routemasters
-- Ken Livingstone, four years before he got rid of 'em

That is also something that really annoys me. Often 1st class is identical to the rest of the train except you have to whisper.

[email protected] April 20th 15 05:59 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
15:48:15 on Mon, 20 Apr 2015, David Cantrell
remarked:

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use?

Mainly Electrostars. There's the odd 317 mixed in though (during the
week, not sure about weekends).

Unfortunately not that mainly. It's about half and half, rather depending on
the time of day. The 317s are a rather careworn mix of the /6s which were
quite nicely refurbished for the time by WAGN with 2+2 seating, the
ex-Stansted Express /8s and the /1s whose only redeeming feature is the old
van space at one end which accommodates bikes properly unlike the rest.

GA published a pocket timetable which highlighted the 379 (Electrostar)
workings a few years ago, though only on weekdays. Although they haven't
done so since, the working timetables are still the same. If you look on
Real Train Times you can also work out which are 379s. The 317s are
indicated as such, the 379s just as EMUs. There I see 379 workings on a
Saturday from the start of service up to the 1128, then the 1228, 1328 and
1428, 1458, 1558, 1658. I've not checked later.

What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

Just like Southern.

I think the 379s' first class is rather nice and better than the 317s. There
was a time in 2012 when First Class Day Returns from Cambridge to Liverpool
St were cheaper than Standard Day Returns to King's Cross so I treated
myself when dealing with my mother's estate.

One advantage of the 379s is the free wifi.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 20th 15 05:59 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

wrote:

Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

If you want better 1st class, travel from Kings X perhaps?

Is it better though?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 20th 15 06:05 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

In article ,
(Offramp) wrote:

On Monday, 20 April 2015 15:48:18 UTC+1, David Cantrell wrote:
Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

That is also something that really annoys me. Often 1st class is
identical to the rest of the train except you have to whisper.

In 317s first class is always 2+2, while standard is a mix of that and 2+3.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 20th 15 06:48 PM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

In message , at 12:59:56
on Mon, 20 Apr 2015, remarked:
Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

If you want better 1st class, travel from Kings X perhaps?

Is it better though?

It's got armrests, perhaps, but apart from that... not.

Neil Williams April 21st 15 11:04 AM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

On 2015-04-20 17:59:56 +0000, said:

Roland
Perry

[...]

bikes

Oh dear ;)

Neil
--
Neil Williams

David Cantrell April 21st 15 11:10 AM

Liverpool St to Cambridge

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 06:12:52PM +0100, wrote:
wrote:
Next weekend I'll be travelling from Liverpool St to Cambridge. What
stock does that route use? What does first class get me? Anything? Or is
it like Southern where first class is exactly the same as second but
with an extra sticker on the window and a hankie velcroed to the seat?

If you want better 1st class, travel from Kings X perhaps?

Meh, the extra time spent getting to King's Cross would negate any
benefit I think, given that I'll be starting my journey at work, which
is spitting distance fro Liverpool St.

Thanks everyone.

Suffer the little children to come unto me, as
their buying habits are most easily influenced.
-- Marketroid Jesus