Old February 14th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why "oyster"

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:52:52 +0000, Kat
wrote:

(And before anyone picks me up on this, I know that technically octopi
do too)

I didn't manage to get away with omnibi on uk.railway, so this could
be fun :-)

The Suica (sp?) cards in Tokyo seem to have pengins as their logo in
pictures I've seen.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old February 15th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Iain wrote in
:

Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system?

Dunno but obviously it was someones sudden 'pearl of wisdom'...

Sorry. ;-)

Leigh...
Old February 16th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Iain" wrote in message
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system? (presumably a
marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did they choose such a
bizarre name: I can't think of any values or qualities that an oyster
possesses which might translate into smartcard-holding convenience.

Iain

It's "The Pearl in your pocket" !!!

---
Outgoing mail has been checked for viruses using the latest AVG database.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure ourgoing mail is virus free, no
guarantees are given and recipients should ensure they use updated
anti-virus software to protect themselves from viruses.

---

Old February 17th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Leigh
writes
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system?

Dunno but obviously it was someones sudden 'pearl of wisdom'...

Casting Pearls before Swine?? Sorry Passengers... err "customers".
Old February 17th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:01:05 GMT, Iain
wrote:

Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system?

Might be a takeoff on "Oy!" to keep an East End sort of
man-of-the-street appeal.

I once had a mad uncle who kept a lurcher called "Oy". It sounded
good when he was calling to him from across Wimbledon Common, but on
his first visit to the vet he thought better of it and thinking fast
came up with the more aristocratic sounding "Troy", which stuck.

Old February 18th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Why "oyster"
..

because it looks like one
Old February 20th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Iain" wrote in message
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system? (presumably a
marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did they choose such a
bizarre name: I can't think of any values or qualities that an oyster
possesses which might translate into smartcard-holding convenience.

Iain

Because Oysters are bottom feeding parasites, much like the employees on
public transport systems

Oysters are slippery, slidy, oily, greasy little beings, " "

Oysters are clammy and tight, like the "Revenue protection Hitlers"

Oysters are GROSSLY over-priced, much like public transport in London

Oysters can make you very ill or even kill you, " "

Oysters are not easy to come by, you usually have to *Dive* to get hold of
one, much like a seat on public transport systems

..................etc

Old February 20th 04, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote in message

"Iain" wrote in message
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system? (presumably a
marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did they choose such a
bizarre name: I can't think of any values or qualities that an oyster
possesses which might translate into smartcard-holding convenience.

Iain

Because Oysters are bottom feeding parasites, much like the employees on
public transport systems

Oysters are slippery, slidy, oily, greasy little beings, " "

Oysters are clammy and tight, like the "Revenue protection Hitlers"

Oysters are GROSSLY over-priced, much like public transport in London

Oysters can make you very ill or even kill you, " "

Oysters are not easy to come by, you usually have to *Dive* to get hold of
one, much like a seat on public transport systems

.................etc

---------------------
But they do give you the horn or so I'm told.

Old February 21st 04, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Iain" wrote in message
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system? (presumably a
marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did they choose such a
bizarre name: I can't think of any values or qualities that an oyster
possesses which might translate into smartcard-holding convenience.

Iain

Because Oysters are bottom feeding parasites, much like the employees on
public transport systems

Oysters are slippery, slidy, oily, greasy little beings, " "

Oysters are clammy and tight, like the "Revenue protection Hitlers"

Oysters are GROSSLY over-priced, much like public transport in London

Oysters can make you very ill or even kill you, " "

Oysters are not easy to come by, you usually have to *Dive* to get hold of
one, much like a seat on public transport systems

Oh, I thought it was to save on branding costs; over in the East End they
were going to have to call it the Dumb Card you see ;-)
--
ZK - When I die accelerate my body to light speed, I always wanted a burial
at c