Old February 14th 04, 06:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why "oyster"

Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system? (presumably a
marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did they choose such a
bizarre name: I can't think of any values or qualities that an oyster
possesses which might translate into smartcard-holding convenience.

Iain

Old February 14th 04, 06:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"The World is your Oyster."

Old February 14th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kevin Bean" wrote in message
. ..
"The World is your Oyster."

-----------------------
No doubt some faceless luminary was paid thousands of our money to think up
that ridiculous name,it's time to get rid of Livingstone as Mayor I nominate
my cat Eric.

Old February 14th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:03:23 -0000, "The Bloke Next Door"
Bloke@NextDoor wrote:

"Kevin Bean" wrote in message
"The World is your Oyster."

-----------------------
No doubt some faceless luminary was paid thousands of our money to think up
that ridiculous name

Prove it.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old February 14th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Iain typed:
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system?
(presumably a marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did
they choose such a bizarre name: I can't think of any values or
qualities that an oyster possesses which might translate into
smartcard-holding convenience.

Something valuable inside something secure? Pearl inside a shell!

Old February 14th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Iain
writes
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system? (presumably a
marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did they choose such a
bizarre name: I can't think of any values or qualities that an oyster
possesses which might translate into smartcard-holding convenience.

I think it's based on the Hong Kong "Octopus" smartcard, but why they
and LU should choose sea-food is beyond me ;-)
( I suppose an octopus has tentacles which can reach everywhere and the
oyster has a similar meaning within English idiom/metaphor)

http://www.citybus.com.hk/txt_only_e.../oct_intro.asp

there's a link on the above to the Octopus Card website but it appears
to be down; nothing new there then...
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 14th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:22:51 +0000, Kat
wrote:

In message , Iain
writes
Who decided on the name "Oyster" for the smartcard system? (presumably a
marketing executive of some kind). Why on earth did they choose such a
bizarre name: I can't think of any values or qualities that an oyster
possesses which might translate into smartcard-holding convenience.

I think it's based on the Hong Kong "Octopus" smartcard, but why they
and LU should choose sea-food is beyond me ;-)
( I suppose an octopus has tentacles which can reach everywhere and the
oyster has a similar meaning within English idiom/metaphor)

http://www.citybus.com.hk/txt_only_e.../oct_intro.asp

there's a link on the above to the Octopus Card website but it appears
to be down; nothing new there then...

In Hong King, 'Octopus' was chosen because of the link with the number
8 - a lucky number in Chinese numerology....

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old February 14th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Bloke Next Door wrote:

No doubt some faceless luminary was paid thousands of our money to think up
that ridiculous name,it's time to get rid of Livingstone as Mayor I nominate
my cat Eric.

And what has Ken got to do with Oyster cards?

Surely LU were working on them a long long time before TFL/GLA took over
the tube?

Old February 14th 04, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Robert Woolley
writes

In Hong King, 'Octopus' was chosen because of the link with the number
8 - a lucky number in Chinese numerology....

Thanks for that.... oysters have a single foot; I wonder if 1 is
particularly auspicious....
(And before anyone picks me up on this, I know that technically octopi
do too)
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old February 14th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , Robert Woolley
writes

In Hong King, 'Octopus' was chosen because of the link with the number
8 - a lucky number in Chinese numerology....

Thanks for that.... oysters have a single foot;

It's Livingstone again boasting about his middle leg!!!