Old June 3rd 15, 06:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground article

In message , at 12:00:14
on Tue, 2 Jun 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

Hands up everyone who chooses which airport to fly from based on what
species of train ticket you'll use to get there.
[looks around]
So that's approximately no-one.

My decisions (for myself and travel-agent-dad) on which airport to use
are as much dominated by the public transport options getting there and
back from home, as the price of the flights.

Me too,

Two hands in the air now

but that's because I care about how long it takes to get there.

Same here.

What ticket I'll need is of no import.

Compared to the overall cost of a trip abroad, the rail ticket to the
airport is rarely significant, although a surprising number of people
seem to enjoy saving a few quid by getting to Heathrow by tube, on the
way to their week in the sun.

Old June 3rd 15, 06:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:08:50
on Tue, 2 Jun 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

HEx also have plans to run to Reading (and possibly beyond).

Not without rebuilding the junction with the GWML they don't.

Isn't the plan to extend the line beyond T5 and join up with the GWML
closer to Slough?

Old June 3rd 15, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:32:38 on Tue, 2 Jun 2015,
Mizter T remarked:

Abbey Wood is the end of the line. (Well, the Crossrail branch.)

Yes, so reversing the HEx2023 there will be easy.

Ok, leaving aside the fact that no such HEx service is going to exist.

It's a long time until 2023, nor do I see HAL dropping the brand
quietly.
Old June 3rd 15, 06:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:08:50 on
Tue, 2 Jun 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

HEx also have plans to run to Reading (and possibly beyond).

Not without rebuilding the junction with the GWML they don't.

Isn't the plan to extend the line beyond T5 and join up with the GWML closer to Slough?

Yes, it's the Heathrow Western Rail Link. Construction is due to start in a
couple of years, with train running in 2022:
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/heathrow/
Old June 3rd 15, 06:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:32:38 on Tue, 2 Jun 2015,
Mizter T remarked:

Abbey Wood is the end of the line. (Well, the Crossrail branch.)

Yes, so reversing the HEx2023 there will be easy.

Ok, leaving aside the fact that no such HEx service is going to exist.

It's a long time until 2023, nor do I see HAL dropping the brand quietly.

It might just have to sponsor and co-brand direct Crossrail trains from T5
to Abbey Wood. That would have the further advantage of freeing up four
paths per hour for 125mph trains on the GW main lines from airport junction
to Paddington.

Old June 3rd 15, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 12:12:28PM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\06\02 11:58, David Cantrell wrote:
Heathrow (the only airport you can currently get to on Oyster)

Does Oyster not work on the DLR then?

Good point, I'd forgotten about City.

--
header FROM_DAVID_CANTRELL From =~ /david.cantrell/i
describe FROM_DAVID_CANTRELL Message is from David Cantrell
Old June 3rd 15, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, 2 June 2015 12:58:26 UTC+2, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 01:12:23PM +0100, Recliner wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 13:09:22 +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 10:07:38AM +0000, Recliner wrote:
Surely it's worth having [Stansted] on Oyster, whoever runs the
trains? I think a lot more Londoners would use it if no separate
tickets were required.
Hands up everyone who chooses which airport to fly from based on what
species of train ticket you'll use to get there.
[looks around]
So that's approximately no-one.

As I'm sure you know, I meant more people would choose to travel to
the airport by train, not that more people would choose that airport.

No, I didn't know. It looked to me as if you were saying that they'd
choose Stansted over Heathrow (the only airport you can currently get to
on Oyster) if you could use Oyster to get to Stansted.

I often use my Oyster card to travel to LCY. For the route I frequently use, I have the choice of Heathrow, City, Luton and Gatwick. I pick City over the others, and if necessary will pay a premium for it.

Robin