Old June 14th 15, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Freedom Pass holder travelling Stratford to Colchester

As a Freedom Pass holder travelling from Stratford to Colchester, does Shenfield now represent the boundary point for an extension ticket? also am I compelled to travel only on TFL Rail to Shenfield before changing onto the Colchester service?

Old June 14th 15, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
23:58:17 on Sat, 13 Jun 2015, remarked:
As a Freedom Pass holder travelling from Stratford to Colchester, does Shenfield now represent the boundary point for an extension ticket? also
am I compelled to travel only on TFL Rail to Shenfield

TfL only, see the orange dotted line:

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...edom-pass-map-
december12-new.pdf

before changing onto the Colchester service?

Anyone here know if a non-TfL train you are on has to stop at the
Freedom-Pass boundary station (eg Harold Wood) or can one travel on a
fast AGA train London to Colchester with a FP plus a Harold Wood to
Colchester ticket?
Old June 14th 15, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
23:58:17 on Sat, 13 Jun 2015, remarked:
As a Freedom Pass holder travelling from Stratford to Colchester,
does Shenfield now represent the boundary point for an extension
ticket? also am I compelled to travel only on TFL Rail to Shenfield

TfL only, see the orange dotted line:

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...edom-pass-map-
december12-new.pdf

before changing onto the Colchester service?

Anyone here know if a non-TfL train you are on has to stop at the
Freedom-Pass boundary station (eg Harold Wood) or can one travel on a
fast AGA train London to Colchester with a FP plus a Harold Wood to
Colchester ticket?

Technically no (although it may well be accepted). You should buy a
Boundary Zone 6 - Colchester ticket instead.

Peter Smyth
Old June 14th 15, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:34:12 on Sun, 14 Jun
2015, Peter Smyth remarked:
Anyone here know if a non-TfL train you are on has to stop at the
Freedom-Pass boundary station (eg Harold Wood) or can one travel on a
fast AGA train London to Colchester with a FP plus a Harold Wood to
Colchester ticket?

Technically no (although it may well be accepted). You should buy a
Boundary Zone 6 - Colchester ticket instead.

Of course - I should have remembered that. Although Harold Wood is a bit
odd in that it's the boundary for the AGA Freedom Pass validity, despite
there being other zones further out.

But... I notice the line from Stratford to Harold Wood is only in
purple, not [solid] orange. Does that mean you can't use AGA at all in
that direction to get further than Stratford anyway?
Old June 14th 15, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 08:34:12 on Sun, 14 Jun
2015, Peter Smyth remarked:
Anyone here know if a non-TfL train you are on has to stop at the
Freedom-Pass boundary station (eg Harold Wood) or can one travel
on a fast AGA train London to Colchester with a FP plus a Harold
Wood to Colchester ticket?

Technically no (although it may well be accepted). You should buy a
Boundary Zone 6 - Colchester ticket instead.

Of course - I should have remembered that. Although Harold Wood is a
bit odd in that it's the boundary for the AGA Freedom Pass validity,
despite there being other zones further out.

But... I notice the line from Stratford to Harold Wood is only in
purple, not [solid] orange. Does that mean you can't use AGA at all
in that direction to get further than Stratford anyway?

Depends when you are travelling. TfL Rail can be used at any time, but
AGA is only valid after 0930.

Peter Smyth

Old June 14th 15, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 10:31:59 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

Even stranger is the route to Watford Junction, where only the
Overground can be used with a Freedom Pass north of H&W, but Oyster is
valid on LM and Southern as well. South of H&W, availability on LM and
Southern depends on the time of day.
Old June 14th 15, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/06/2015 13:01, Recliner wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 10:31:59 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Smyth"
wrote:
[...]
Depends when you are travelling. TfL Rail can be used at any time, but
AGA is only valid after 0930.

Even stranger is the route to Watford Junction, where only the
Overground can be used with a Freedom Pass north of H&W, but Oyster is
valid on LM and Southern as well. South of H&W, availability on LM and
Southern depends on the time of day.

The Shenfield situation is no different to the Watford Jn situation (I
think) - Oyster and contactless are valid on AGA from Shenfield into
London in the same way they're valid on LM & Southern from Watford Jn
into London.
Old June 14th 15, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/06/2015 08:26, Roland Perry wrote:

As a Freedom Pass holder travelling from Stratford to Colchester,
does Shenfield now represent the boundary point for an extension
ticket? also am I compelled to travel only on TFL Rail to Shenfield

TfL only, see the orange dotted line:

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...edom-pass-map-
december12-new.pdf

before changing onto the Colchester service?

Careful - a Freedom Pass holder is *not* compelled to travel on TfL Rail
(to be Crossrail) out to Shenfield if they want to head out to
Colchester (or wherever) and use their Freedom Pass for part of the
journey, they just need to buy a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to
Colchester if travelling from Stratford on AGA.

I guess that a ticket from Shenfield to Colchester would be a bit
cheaper than one from Boundary Zone 6 though, but it's a bit of a faff.
Old June 14th 15, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, June 14, 2015 at 4:25:06 PM UTC+1, Mizter T wrote:
On 14/06/2015 08:26, Roland Perry wrote:

As a Freedom Pass holder travelling from Stratford to Colchester,
does Shenfield now represent the boundary point for an extension
ticket? also am I compelled to travel only on TFL Rail to Shenfield

TfL only, see the orange dotted line:

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/do...edom-pass-map-
december12-new.pdf

before changing onto the Colchester service?

Careful - a Freedom Pass holder is *not* compelled to travel on TfL Rail
(to be Crossrail) out to Shenfield if they want to head out to
Colchester (or wherever) and use their Freedom Pass for part of the
journey, they just need to buy a ticket from Boundary Zone 6 to
Colchester if travelling from Stratford on AGA.

I guess that a ticket from Shenfield to Colchester would be a bit
cheaper than one from Boundary Zone 6 though, but it's a bit of a faff.

Thanks Mizter T, appreciate the advice
Old June 14th 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

Especially as Boundary Zone 6 is apparently not a station available on the
AGA or other TOC booking web sites.

--
Colin Rosenstiel