Old February 16th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Aldwych : Proposals in the 60s

I was reading an edition of "London's Underground" (1) from the
mid-1960s, and it mentions three extension proposals that were ongoing
at the time. Two of these - the Victoria extension to Brixton and the
Fleet Line - went ahead (although of course the plans for the Fleet
Line changed greatly over the successive years).

The third was extending the Aldwych branch of the Piccadilly through
to Waterloo. I was aware that this had been considered as it's been
mentioned here before, and on a couple of websites, including CULG.

But what I didn't know is that, according to this book, the necessary
'powers have been granted'. That implies planning got to a rather
advanced stage. So my question : is that really the case, and what
happened that brought things to a halt?

Sam

(1) Don't have the book to hand so can't give accurate title, author
or publication date, but I can do so at a later stage if it's of help.
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge

Old February 16th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sam Holloway wrote in message . ..
The third was extending the Aldwych branch of the Piccadilly through
to Waterloo. I was aware that this had been considered as it's been
mentioned here before, and on a couple of websites, including CULG.

But what I didn't know is that, according to this book, the necessary
'powers have been granted'. That implies planning got to a rather
advanced stage. So my question : is that really the case, and what
happened that brought things to a halt?

On a related theme , does anyone know how far the running tunnels extend south
of aldwych? Do they reach the river?

B2003
Old February 16th 04, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Boltar
writes

On a related theme , does anyone know how far the running tunnels extend south
of aldwych?

Only as far as the station itself (on the corner of the Strand and
Surrey Street) as far as I recall.

Do they reach the river?

No, I don't think there was any concept of an overrun tunnel when the
line was built - it just stopped at (or within a few feet of) the
platform end.

--
Paul Terry
Old February 16th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
Sam Holloway wrote in message

. ..
The third was extending the Aldwych branch of the Piccadilly through
to Waterloo. I was aware that this had been considered as it's been
mentioned here before, and on a couple of websites, including CULG.

But what I didn't know is that, according to this book, the necessary
'powers have been granted'. That implies planning got to a rather
advanced stage. So my question : is that really the case, and what
happened that brought things to a halt?

On a related theme , does anyone know how far the running tunnels extend

south
of aldwych? Do they reach the river?

B2003

No they don't. They go less than 10 metres past the end of the platform,
which means they must be at least 100metres from the Thames Embankment.

Colin

Old February 16th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sam Holloway wrote in message . ..
I was reading an edition of "London's Underground" (1) from the
mid-1960s, and it mentions three extension proposals that were ongoing
at the time. Two of these - the Victoria extension to Brixton and the
Fleet Line - went ahead (although of course the plans for the Fleet
Line changed greatly over the successive years).

The third was extending the Aldwych branch of the Piccadilly through
to Waterloo. I was aware that this had been considered as it's been
mentioned here before, and on a couple of websites, including CULG.

But what I didn't know is that, according to this book, the necessary
'powers have been granted'. That implies planning got to a rather
advanced stage. So my question : is that really the case, and what
happened that brought things to a halt?

Sam

Have you tried approaching the LT museum in Covent Garden?

Alex

Old February 16th 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A H A H is offline

[...]

It's a shame the Holborn-Aldwych shuttle wasn't extended to Waterloo, that
would have made a lot of sense..........

Old February 17th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Have you tried approaching the LT museum in Covent Garden?

They're very approachable. I asked them a while back about a spiral-
escalator that I saw as little more than a footnote in my various texts,
and they had some background research and directions to the site where the
few remaining parts existed by the time I was done getting the kids'
station-card punched throughout the exhibit. Great people.

--
http://mattdrury.net/travel (since 1984)
Old February 18th 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin" wrote in message

On a related theme , does anyone know how far the running tunnels

extend
south
of aldwych? Do they reach the river?

B2003

No they don't. They go less than 10 metres past the end of the platform,
which means they must be at least 100metres from the Thames Embankment.

On a slightly different tangent however, the overrun tunnels east of Charing
Cross on the Jubilee Line do almost reach Aldwych, indicating one
possibility that was considered at one time. I don't know whether the track
runs the entire length though, or what lurks at the very end (parts of the
TBM I expect).

Regards
John M Upton

Old February 18th 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matt Drury" wrote in message
. 138.161...
Have you tried approaching the LT museum in Covent Garden?

They're very approachable. I asked them a while back about a spiral-
escalator that I saw as little more than a footnote in my various texts,
and they had some background research and directions to the site where the
few remaining parts existed by the time I was done getting the kids'
station-card punched throughout the exhibit. Great people.

The remains of the spiral escalator from Holloway Road are at Acton
Museum Depot..

Robin