Old August 28th 15, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woman only carraiges - says Corbyn

On 2015-08-27 18:06:19 +0000, said:

Who remembers Roman and Martin's Laugh-In? "Vairy Interesting... but
stoopid""

That was Rowan and Martin. The character was Wolfgang the German
soldier - the actor who played him is still around at 86.

E.

Old August 29th 15, 01:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MB MB is offline

On 26/08/2015 09:20, y wrote:
It seems the intellectual powerhouse masquarading as a naive wet 70s throwback
has suggested women only carraiges would be a good idea.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...arriages-a-pos
sibility-under-jeremy-corbyn

Aside from the obvious problems with enforcing it, I'd love to know how this
towering genius suggests this would take place on the walk through trains that
are becoming more and more popular such as LU S Stock and 378s.

--
Spud

This came up on Any Questions and one of Corbyn's supporters pointed out
that he did not call for women only carriages, just that it should be
put out for consultation (or something like that). Makes me think this
is one of the problems with Corbyn, he could not say that it was a
stupid idea but puts out everything for discussion / consulation / etc.
He does not like making decisions.

Old August 29th 15, 01:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 14:13:17 +0100, MB wrote:

On 26/08/2015 09:20, y wrote:
[...]

Don't forget, a lot of people from the "Ladies only" era of
compartment stock, wrongly called compartments carriages.

Old August 29th 15, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article 2015082918091647526-email@domaincom,

On 2015-08-29 14:22:22 +0000,
said:

In article ,

(Christopher A. Lee) wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 14:13:17 +0100, MB wrote:

This came up on Any Questions and one of Corbyn's supporters pointed
out that he did not call for women only carriages, just that it should
be put out for consultation (or something like that). Makes me think
this is one of the problems with Corbyn, he could not say that it was
a stupid idea but puts out everything for discussion / consulation
/ etc. He does not like making decisions.

Don't forget, a lot of people from the "Ladies only" era of
compartment stock, wrongly called compartments carriages.

Only a few types of stock had Ladies-only compartments, of course. And
most compartments were got rid of on safety grounds. Compartments would
be completely impractical in today's open stock. They would also
probably make vulnerable people more vulnerable.

There were women only waiting rooms I believe at some stations - do
they still exist?

Some still exist, essentially as ante-rooms to Ladies' loos.

On trains I see no reason why there can't be carriages designated for
women/couples/children at night, as there are carriages designated as
'quiet'. There's a role for peer pressure.

The more open stock becomes, as with Underground S stock and Overground 378s
, the less practical that is. There is an argument that isolation makes
women more not less vulnerable.

--
Colin Rosenstiel