Old September 10th 15, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North South divide.

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 02:42:01PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
on Wed, 9 Sep 2015, David Cantrell remarked:
I'm more inclined to blame Clement Attlee's green belts. At least in
London and its immediate surroundings there is little land left to build
on unless you first knock something down.

Whereas where I live in Mid-Cambs, a place with a severe housing
shortage, the vast majority of new homes are on green fields sites.
Assuming the developers can be bothered to build them, which for a
couple of the developments north of Cambridge they can't.

Are you sure it's because they can't be arsed, or because they don't
have the necessary capital, or because there is insufficient labour
available with the relevant skills at the price they're willing to pay,
or any other reason?

I don't do .INI, .BAT, or .SYS files. I don't assign apps to files.
I don't configure peripherals or networks before using them. I have
a computer to do all that. I have a Macintosh, not a hobby.
-- Fritz Anderson

Old September 10th 15, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:58:04
on Thu, 10 Sep 2015, David Cantrell remarked:

I'm more inclined to blame Clement Attlee's green belts. At least in
London and its immediate surroundings there is little land left to build
on unless you first knock something down.

Whereas where I live in Mid-Cambs, a place with a severe housing
shortage, the vast majority of new homes are on green fields sites.
Assuming the developers can be bothered to build them, which for a
couple of the developments north of Cambridge they can't.

Are you sure it's because they can't be arsed, or because they don't
have the necessary capital, or because there is insufficient labour
available with the relevant skills at the price they're willing to pay,
or any other reason?

They've already bought the land (which is perhaps half the cost),
there's no shortage of labour, but they know that having added it all up
and included the stealth taxes of s106/affordable housing subsidy they
don't expect enough people will be able to buy the houses in the current
economic climate.
Old September 10th 15, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 13:26:46 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 02:48:21PM +0000, y wrote:

You can't dump 8 million new people into a country over 15 years ...

Population in 2000: 58.9 million
Population in 2015: 64.9 million

I know that 6 and 8 look a bit similar if you squint, but they are in
fact different.

You forgot the number of british nationals who were born abroad. They still
count as immigrants.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/rea...elegraph-8-mil
lion-foreigners-britain

"The 8 million figure refers to the number of people living in the UK who were
not born in Britain. According to ONS data, the figure in 2013 was 7.9 million
The latest estimate for non-UK born, non-UK nationals living in Britain is 4.9 m
illion, the ONS said, just under 8% of the population (or one in 13 people)."

I'll believe the ONS rather than you thanks.

special kind of stupid to confuse 4 and 8, or a liar, or incredibly
gullible. Which is it?

Don't look in the mirror while you type, it never ends well.

--
Spud

Old September 10th 15, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:03:14 on Thu, 10 Sep
2015, Basil Jet remarked:

Last week's property supplement has a 1 bed flat in St Matthew's Gardens
with an asking price of £260K.

Not sure if that's evidence of a high price (£260k a bedroom vs £125k)
or what.

Lord knows I go off-topic myself from time to time, but flat prices in
various named streets in Cambridge is taking things too far IMO.

It's not that bad, actually. We are simply raising typical prices for
typical ten-year-old brown fields developments.

The wider issue is why people feel compelled to buy a flat in Ely
because it's half the price of Cambridge [and commute] or buy a flat in
Cambridge because it's a third the price of Westminster [and commute].

The whole "South East" commuting thing where people claim to be "forced
to commute by train" is predicated on the proposition that you can't buy
a 4 bed family home with a garden and view over Hyde Park for a
realistic amount of money.