London Banter

-   -   Bye Bye Wolmar (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14502-bye-bye-wolmar.html)

Roland Perry September 11th 15 07:52 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...didate-result-
full-breakdown/

[email protected] September 11th 15 11:18 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...e-result-full-
breakdown/

Indeed. I wondered why on earth he thought he had any more chance than the
proverbial icicle in hell.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] September 12th 15 07:01 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:18:04 -0500,

wrote:

Indeed. I wondered why on earth he thought he had any more chance than
the proverbial icicle in hell.

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters. Personally I
think it'd be a disaster but then I've never been convinced by the so
called "expert" tag people put on him.

I think you need to use people who have experience of running
transport services rather than people who theorise and criticise from
the sidelines. Making transport work properly and effectively is not
an answer job and requires great skill.

Hear hear!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 12th 15 07:23 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 01:30:32 on
Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

tim..... September 12th 15 11:10 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...didate-result-
full-breakdown/

He did better than Liz Kendall (4% of her electorate)

tim

Recliner[_3_] September 12th 15 04:04 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

Roland Perry wrote:
5th out of six for the London Mayor selection, with 5.4% of the vote.

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour...didate-result-
full-breakdown/

That's much better than I expected. He actually managed not to come last,
beating my local MP into that position.

He better hope his railway book reprint project earns him some income next
year, as his pointless campaign has got in the way of his regular book.

Roland Perry September 12th 15 08:17 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 20:28:23 on
Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 08:23:23 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 01:30:32 on
Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

Adonis was SoS wasn't he? Khan was never SoS.

Wikipedia says:

Minister of State for Transport
In office
8 June 2009 - 11 May 2010
Prime Minister Gordon Brown
Preceded by The Lord Adonis
Succeeded by Theresa Villiers

But yes, Adonis was promoted to SoS in June 2009.

They both left post as a result of the 2010 election and were in
position for barely a year with there having been the usual procession
of Ministers who barely manage 24 months in post.

Kahn became the Shadow SoS.

To be frank we do not need a Mayor to be tinkering with organisational
structures. That will waste time and money.

I thought their job was to tinker (with hopefully a good result).

They should also explain how they can justify shovelling mountains of
cash to the TOCs to compensate for their lower revenues compared to
their franchise projections.

Is that the cap and collar arrangements? If so then the TOCs only agreed
to take on the franchise if that safety net was there.

[email protected] September 12th 15 11:23 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 01:30:32
on Sat, 12 Sep 2015, Paul Corfield remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

The track record of Transport Ministers knowing much about the subject is
distinctly poor.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry September 13th 15 06:59 AM

Bye Bye Wolmar

In message , at 18:23:00
on Sat, 12 Sep 2015, remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

The track record of Transport Ministers knowing much about the subject is
distinctly poor.

He wasn't too bad. I even followed him in that role on Twitter. Being a
Londoner all his life (even when at University) I'm sure he's very well
aware of the transport options in London.

Recliner[_3_] September 13th 15 12:24 PM

Bye Bye Wolmar

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:23:00
on Sat, 12 Sep 2015, remarked:

There have been upmteen calls today on social media for Mr Khan to
somehow use Mr Wolmar's "talents" on transport matters.

Does he need it? Kahn was himself a transport minister under Brown,
having succeeded Lord Adonis.

The track record of Transport Ministers knowing much about the subject is
distinctly poor.

He wasn't too bad. I even followed him in that role on Twitter. Being a
Londoner all his life (even when at University) I'm sure he's very well
aware of the transport options in London.

His father was a bus driver, do he does have some inside knowledge on the
subject.