Old October 4th 15, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Taxi Consultation to "kill" Uber

On 2015-10-04 17:54:35 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Yes, and thousands of them are "moved on". Better for them not to be
causing the anti-social menace in the first place.

How do you propose to stop them? Even with the 5 minute "delay" they
will still no doubt wait in places where they are near to a likely job.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 4th 15, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-10-04 16:14:58 +0000, Eric said:

Of course, but you did seem to present Google Maps as a better answer.

It's an acceptable answer, I'd say.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 4th 15, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-10-04 16:58:23 +0000, JNugent said:

There is no such thing as a mini cab.

"Minicab" is a common London term for a private-hire car (that isn't a
premium one).

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 4th 15, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-10-04 17:02:41 +0000, JNugent said:

Vagueness could lead to the passenger being (unnecessarily) in harm's way.

Nothing vague about you booking two completely distinct services, one
being a shared car and one being a private car. No different to the
way you can, with most private hire operators, choose the size and
"quality" of the car used.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 4th 15, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-10-04 17:04:17 +0000, JNugent said:

A public transport operator is free to apply for the necessary
permissions to make that work.

Actually they aren't; there is (and I did some research on this in
conjunction with a friend in the transport industry) seemingly no legal
framework under which such a thing can operate. It fails on bus
legislation (no fixed route/restricted area of service), and on taxi
legislation (shared use at separate fares).

It's just that the passenger decides on the sharing, not the driver or
operator.

The passenger would still decide on it, they just would get the option
to say "find me some people to share with to keep my journey cost down"
to the operator, rather than them having to arrange the share
themselves.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 4th 15, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-10-04 17:05:06 +0000, JNugent said:

Is that a reason to introduce the same dangers to travelling in a taxi?

If the passenger wishes to take that (low) risk to reduce their fare,
why not? Provided it is at the passenger's option (and only their
option) whether it occurs or not.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old October 4th 15, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:28:16 on Sun, 4 Oct
2015, Bryan Morris remarked:
The last place I needed to find on Google Maps was a charity-run care
home, and that's completely missing too (it was built in 2005).

I once needed to check on Google Maps how to get from my place
(London/Essex borders) to London Bridge

Much to my surprise (I kid you not) the route was

Drive to Dover
Swim the English Channel to France
Swim the Atlantic to New York
Drive from New York to Lake Havasu City Arizona
London Bridge (the old one rebuilt there)

I assume some programmer at Google had a sense of humour.

There was a time when one of the mapping systems (I don't remember if it
was a web-based one or CD-based) sent people from south England to
Newcastle via France, and various other countries, ending up with a
ferry back from Scandinavia (Bergen probably).

Early versions one rail planner would send you to a small town in
Belgium if you typed in "Waterloo".