Old February 20th 04, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line future

Sorry to harp on about this, but has anyone heard anything further about the
Northern Line?

News on this subject seems to be getting rarer, like it's getting forgotten.
Is the Camden Town crossover going to be restored? Or is this the new format
for the Northern Line for the forseeable future?

Alan

Old February 20th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan Ingham" wrote in message ...
Sorry to harp on about this, but has anyone heard anything further about the
Northern Line?

News on this subject seems to be getting rarer, like it's getting forgotten.
Is the Camden Town crossover going to be restored? Or is this the new format
for the Northern Line for the forseeable future?

Alan

I was on the Northern Line last week and I saw some posters stating
that normal timetabled services were back to normal EXCEPT for the
cross-services; i.e. High Barnet/MHE via Bank and Edgware via Charing
Cross. They cited continuing work on the track layout at Camden Town
as being responsible.

Brad
Old February 20th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...
"Alan Ingham" wrote in message

Sorry to harp on about this, but has anyone heard anything further about

the
Northern Line?

News on this subject seems to be getting rarer, like it's getting

forgotten.
Is the Camden Town crossover going to be restored? Or is this the new

format
for the Northern Line for the forseeable future?

Alan

I was on the Northern Line last week and I saw some posters stating
that normal timetabled services were back to normal EXCEPT for the
cross-services; i.e. High Barnet/MHE via Bank and Edgware via Charing
Cross. They cited continuing work on the track layout at Camden Town
as being responsible.

Brad

Hi,

I am a driver on the Northern and before I went off on a two week vacation,
the *rumour* was that regular service to all Northern Line destinations via
both Bank and Charing Cross was being resumed on March 7. As I don't go back
there until Tuesday night I can't confirm this. I know this isn't exactly
concrete information, but that's the last I heard!!

Old February 20th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:30:15 -0000, "Alan Ingham"
wrote:

Sorry to harp on about this, but has anyone heard anything further about the
Northern Line?

News on this subject seems to be getting rarer, like it's getting forgotten.
Is the Camden Town crossover going to be restored? Or is this the new format
for the Northern Line for the forseeable future?

There is a new timetable in place now that restores old service
frequencies but with the fixed service pattern.

The new crossover is in place but fixed out of use. The testing and
assurance process is being done now. I had to review documentation about
testing equipment today so testing work can occur tonight. There were
also tests last night. The intention is to ensure the new installation
is fully safe to brought into full "moving" service and that depends on
the results gathered from the tests. On the assumption everything gets
signed off then I understand there is a time period before the all
singing, all dancing service pattern can be brought back into use. I am
afraid I do not know how long that time period is. I can assure you
that a lot of work is being done to get the service restored.

Hope that helps.
--
Paul C

Old February 22nd 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

I am a driver on the Northern

Ah, perhaps you can answer a question for me, Bradley. Why do trains
approach Clapham Common from Clapham South so slowly?

Thanks,

Ian

Old February 22nd 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ah, perhaps you can answer a question for me, Bradley. Why do trains
approach Clapham Common from Clapham South so slowly?

SHARP BEND (watch the carriages in front turn right) as the train
approaches) thats if you are actually boarding at Clap South. If not then
you are seeing them arrive whilst part of the train is still "on the bend"
as it arrives in the platform.

Old February 22nd 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

I am a driver on the Northern

Ah, perhaps you can answer a question for me, Bradley. Why do trains
approach Clapham Common from Clapham South so slowly?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

There is a 15mph permanent speed restriction on the approach to Clapham
Common on the northbound track due to the tight bend just before the
platform.

Bradley.

Old February 22nd 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

Hi Ian,

There is a 15mph permanent speed restriction on the approach to Clapham
Common on the northbound track due to the tight bend just before the
platform.

That explains it. Thanks Bradley (and Roger).

Ian

Old February 22nd 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

Hi Ian,

There is a 15mph permanent speed restriction on the approach to Clapham
Common on the northbound track due to the tight bend just before the
platform.

That explains it. Thanks Bradley (and Roger).

Ian

No problem Ian, you're more than welcome.

Anytime.

Bradley.

Old February 22nd 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

Anytime.

Right - you asked for it! ;-)

Why do the drivers of the train waiting on the northbound Charing Cross
platform always time it so that the minute the northbound City line train
arrives, they take off, leaving those of us changing lines to wait for the
next one? It's almost as though they do it on purpose - you should hear some
of the comments! Surely it can't hurt to wait and extra 30 seconds?

Ian