Old October 14th 15, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Disaster at Balham Tube station

From the particularly good blog World War II Today,
the entry for 14 October 1940:

They had gone to the Tubes for safety, instead they found worse than
bombs, they found the unknown, terror. Women and children, small babes
in arms, locked beneath the ground. I can only visualize their
feelings, I can only write how it has been told to me, but it must
have been Hell. On top of this there came a cloud of gas. People not
killed outright were suffocated, the rest drowned, drowned like rats
in a cage.

http://ww2today.com/14th-october-194...m-tube-station

--
jhk

Old October 14th 15, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
From the particularly good blog World War II Today,
the entry for 14 October 1940:

I lived bear Balham for a few years in the late 1970s and a good few
locals had vivid stories of that night. And it wasn't just the tube
that suffered. Apart from the tramway, in the blackout a bus didn't
manage to mind the gap

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ld-War-II.html
(scroll down to 3rd and 4th photos)

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old October 14th 15, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\10\14 17:22, Robin wrote:
Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
From the particularly good blog World War II Today,
the entry for 14 October 1940:

I lived bear Balham for a few years in the late 1970s and a good few
locals had vivid stories of that night. And it wasn't just the tube
that suffered. Apart from the tramway, in the blackout a bus didn't
manage to mind the gap

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ld-War-II.html
(scroll down to 3rd and 4th photos)

Holes in the ground are often measured in DDBs (double decker buses)...
they don't usually use an actual bus to measure it though.
Old October 14th 15, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There is a memorial on the wall at the moment which does mot mention numbers.
Old October 19th 15, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

IanVisits has also written about the disaster:

http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015...tube-disaster/