Old February 22nd 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Chiltern Services Between Amersham & Harrow

In article , michael
hopkins writes

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , Joe
writes

Actually many other TOCs like Virgin have done it in the past, and still

do
it. Trains will be announced as 'Not stopping'

OK, so if it's non stopping how will the people get off? You could hold
people at the barriers but if the gate line isn't manned then it won't
happen.

I've not seen the gate line manned at Amersham expect for the AM peak.

What about people already on the platform?

Not really workable is it?

What happens at Euston is that Inter-cities are not advetised as stopping at
Watford Junc. and people with watfor tickets are not allowed past the
barrier. It's advertised at Watford for n/b passengers - to pick up only.

Michael

That's at Euston for Watford passengers. That's a main line. We're
talking about Amersham here and regular travellers.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old February 22nd 04, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Does anyone agree with me that Chiltern Services should be made 'Pick
Up Only' on services to Aylesbury and 'Drop Off Only' on services to
London. I am tired of people who are crowding up services on Chiltern
because they don't want to travel with LU.

Oh, thanks.

That'll cut our train frequency down even further. Especially when the
tubes are shagged - as they frequently are.
Old February 22nd 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

No it doesn't. Any ticket from Aylesbury to London is valid via either
Amersham or High Wycombe.

That's a ticket from Aylesbury. If I buy a return ticket at Amersham
into London I won't be able to get through the gates at High Wycombe.
I'm talking about Amersham - not Aylesbury.

Ah, but your Amersham-London nice cheap tube ticket would not entitle you
to use the Chiltern...
Old February 22nd 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Adrian
writes
Andrew P Smith ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

No it doesn't. Any ticket from Aylesbury to London is valid via either
Amersham or High Wycombe.

That's a ticket from Aylesbury. If I buy a return ticket at Amersham
into London I won't be able to get through the gates at High Wycombe.
I'm talking about Amersham - not Aylesbury.

Ah, but your Amersham-London nice cheap tube ticket would not entitle you
to use the Chiltern...

Wrong. A ticket purchased at Amersham into Zone 1 allows me to use Met
or Chiltern services assuming the ticket is valid for travel at that
time of day.
Old February 22nd 04, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Ah, but your Amersham-London nice cheap tube ticket would not entitle
you to use the Chiltern...

Wrong. A ticket purchased at Amersham into Zone 1 allows me to use Met
or Chiltern services assuming the ticket is valid for travel at that
time of day.

It does now.

Give the OP half a chance, though...

Old February 22nd 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Adrian
writes
Andrew P Smith ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Ah, but your Amersham-London nice cheap tube ticket would not entitle
you to use the Chiltern...

Wrong. A ticket purchased at Amersham into Zone 1 allows me to use Met
or Chiltern services assuming the ticket is valid for travel at that
time of day.

It does now.

Give the OP half a chance, though...

It always has since I have been using that line. Or at least I have been
using it as such.
Old February 22nd 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:14:28 GMT, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

The thought of Crossrail, in the form that it has been proposed, is
horrendous: yet another railway line irreparably spoiled by the erection of
ugly OHLE gantries; the probable closure of Marylebone after it's had all
that money invested in modernising it - the exchange of a light and airy
terminus station in London for either Paddington (very out-of-the-way for
passengers coming from central London) or else cramped Underground-style
stations closer into Central London.

Who is proposing closing Marylebone?

I suspect the central London stations will be more JLE that
"traditional" sized tube stations.

The Crossrail money would be much
better spent upgrading the line north of Aylesbury to provide a service to
Milton Keynes, feeding into a reopened Oxford-MK line.

But that wouldn't help people cross central London.

With all services
being DMU or 3rd-rail EMU rather than OHLE EMU. If only the people that I
have to share this planet with weren't too stupid to realise that you don't
touch the live rail, it wouldn't be banned on H&S grounds.

It's not. /Unprotected/ third rail is.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 22nd 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Joe" wrote in message

Does anyone agree with me that Chiltern Services should be made 'Pick Up
Only' on services to Aylesbury and 'Drop Off Only' on services to London.

am tired of people who are crowding up services on Chiltern because they
don't want to travel with LU.

No. I don't support the concept of "pick up only" and "set down only" - a
train should be obliged to carry anyone who wants to travel on it as long as
they have a valid ticket for the journey, and tickets should be valid for
all TOCs - none of this "valid only on Thames Trains and not on First Great
Western" lark. Why should passengers be forced to use certain trains in
preference to others?

Old February 22nd 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The thought of Crossrail, in the form that it has been proposed, is
horrendous: yet another railway line irreparably spoiled by the erection

of
ugly OHLE gantries; the probable closure of Marylebone after it's had all
that money invested in modernising it - the exchange of a light and airy
terminus station in London for either Paddington (very out-of-the-way for
passengers coming from central London) or else cramped Underground-style
stations closer into Central London.

Who is proposing closing Marylebone?

I thought the plans were originally for services on the High Wycombe line to
use Paddington instead of Marylebone and for serices on the Aylesbury line
to use Baker Street and further stations in central London instead of
Marylebone.

With all services
being DMU or 3rd-rail EMU rather than OHLE EMU. If only the people that I
have to share this planet with weren't too stupid to realise that you

don't
touch the live rail, it wouldn't be banned on H&S grounds.

It's not. /Unprotected/ third rail is.

All right, unprotected third rail - of the sort used by all the services out
of Waterloo, Victoria and Charing Cross. I agree that a protected rail, as
is used on the Docklands Light Railway, would probably be sufficiently
idiot-proof to be immune to Darwin Award wannabees!

Old February 22nd 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Unless its an extension to an existing system.

Why are Chiltern's London services crap? e27002 aurora London Transport 18 August 31st 16 03:31 AM
Chesham/Amersham changes decided Paul Scott London Transport 16 February 13th 09 09:45 PM
Amersham No Name London Transport 43 July 23rd 08 05:18 PM
Marylebone Amersham via Beaconsfield Walter Briscoe London Transport 4 November 13th 07 09:02 AM
Reduction in Chiltern Services and Funding of Shared Met Line asdf London Transport 28 June 27th 06 08:57 AM